Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsillitis or glandular fever

(4 Posts)
pineappleeyes Mon 04-Jul-16 00:33:36

Went to ooh GP today and was told i have tonsilitus. I am convinced ive got glandular fever again. I had it when i was 15 yo and it feels the same. There are no white spots on my tonsils but swallowing is unbearable and I feel wretched. Head ache, neck and bit sore and I feel weak and exhausted Do you always get white spots with tonsillitis? Im having hot sweats but then I go cold . The pain killers don't seem to be working. Do you think I should get a second opinion?

Justbeingnosey123 Mon 04-Jul-16 00:38:51

Nope not all tonsillitis has white spots, did ooh gp give you antibiotics??

pineappleeyes Mon 04-Jul-16 00:46:03

Yes I got penicillin...10 days worth. I can hardly swallow though. The pain is shocking sad

Justbeingnosey123 Mon 04-Jul-16 00:52:29

That sounds horrible ☹️ There is no real treatment for glandular fever as its a virus so my advice would be to give it 48hrs on antibiotics with lots of pain killers and then if it's no better go to you gp to get a second opinion. Of course the flip side is you know yourself and his you feel best so if your not happy there is no harming seeing your own gp tomorrow just be prepared you may not get that far until antibiotics have a chance to work sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now