Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena - positive stories please :)

(19 Posts)
MyBeloved Fri 01-Jul-16 20:44:43

Hi all

My consultant has recommended this as 1st line treatment for my revolting periods and crippling pain before considering serious surgery (I'm in my 40s).

I really need some positive stories.

I'm a complicated case. It's being inserted under general anaesthetic.

Thanks in advance x

Londonlassy Fri 01-Jul-16 20:48:55

Loved my Mirena. I am useless at remembering to take the pill and for this reason the Mirena was a godsend. Plus my periods were lighter and shorter. Trying to have a second baby so have had it removed but would definitely have another one inserted in the future

DramaAlpaca Fri 01-Jul-16 20:56:30

Positive story here. I got mine in my mid-40s because I was really struggling with heavy, irregular periods that were making my life a misery.

I had it put in under GA because they needed to do a couple of other things as well. The op went fine, no problems at all.

I won't lie though, for the first month I was in a lot of discomfort & felt like I'd been kicked in the lower belly. I had to go & beg my GP for some strong painkillers. However, once it settled down it was great. I now have no periods at all & it's changed my life. My doctor says it should be able to stay in until I've gone through the menopause.

I'd definitely recommend.

threadender Fri 01-Jul-16 20:57:27

I had it after having DS. It wasn't great at first as I had pretty much continuous light bleeding for several weeks. Then it stopped and I haven't had a period since (3 years). I feel the monthly cycle symptoms but no where near as much as previously.
However, a friend suffered an ectopic pregnancy with the mirena coil.

threadender Fri 01-Jul-16 21:00:02

Sorry, I realise you asked for positive stories! My experience is (mostly) good, it may well help you with the symptoms you describe

MyBeloved Fri 01-Jul-16 21:01:07

Positive stories threadender!

Scottishthreeberry16 Fri 01-Jul-16 21:06:24

Had mine inserted late 40s under GA as needed fibroid removed at same time. Gearing it was really heavy periods.

Best thing I've ever done. No problems. Bled a little bit for a few weeks and never since really until its replacement and then just a bit of spotting for a week or two.

Feels slightly heavy at first. Then fine. The replacement was a little difficult but an experienced gynaecologist removed it effectively and quickly after a leas experienced dr tried. All good. I'd say go for it. The alternative was not an option - I didn't want short cycles with flooding.

Exploretheunexplored23 Fri 01-Jul-16 21:15:16

I got my mirena in my early 20s. It took a little patience through the first few months but i wouldnt have anything else now. I rarely bleed, i get sore boobs every month and a bit moody but thats it. For me it has been so much better than the pill!

I had mine inserted under local so i didnt feel anything at all and i wasnt sore afterwards.

Best of luck!

RudyMentary Fri 01-Jul-16 21:17:29

I have had 3'mirena coils over 17 years.
All have worked amazingly and I haven't had a period in all that time.
A blood test showed I was menopausal so my last one was removed 7 months ago.

Allatseainthemidlands Fri 01-Jul-16 21:18:38

Had mine for a couple of years now- after years of truly grim periods and endless anaemia/flooding/ exhaustion. Absolutely magic. A few weeks settling in but it has completely changed my life. I am late 40s

DeathByMascara Fri 01-Jul-16 21:18:56

I got mine inserted a couple of months ago - the insertion wasn't nice but I've had no trouble with it since. Bled a bit for about 3 weeks, am now on second period which is much lighter and looks to be shorter than normal.

MurphysChild Fri 01-Jul-16 21:33:19

Had the Mierena fitted, admittedly at age 32, six wonderful period and pain free years. dH then had the snip and my periods have got progressively worse with age. Should have kept one fitted forever.

MyBeloved Fri 01-Jul-16 21:38:01

This is all sounding very good. Thank you ladies, thank you smile

MyBeloved Fri 01-Jul-16 21:39:47

Consultant says ideal situation is mirena will sort out all my troubles and will stay in place until I go through my menopause.

Won't think about plan b unless it comes to pass ...

dun1urkin Fri 01-Jul-16 21:43:32

I'm on my 4th! No periods for over 16 years grin
It's not a comfortable experience getting them fitted, but you can just forget about it for 5 whole years. My DH has considered having the snip by the time I am due for my next one, but to be honest I don't fancy starting my periods again at the age of 44. I fully intend to keep going until I'm through the menopause.

jobrum Fri 01-Jul-16 21:50:32

Loved mine. It hurt a lot having it put in when I was 21 and I had cramps and bleeding for the rest of the day. But the next day felt absolutely fine and did for the five years it was in. No periods, occasionally very light cramping around when a period would be due but I mean very light. My skin cleared up, I lost all the weight that I'd gained from a POP pill I'd been taking for a year. I dod have problems with the threads that hang down but my cervix moves a lot (!) so when they were trimmed short sometimes my dh could feel them during sex but it wasn't often enough to be an issue.

Having it removed was fine too; took a couple of seconds, no pain at all.

LavenderRains Sat 02-Jul-16 22:01:20

I've had mine 3ish years now, I was advised to have it because of really heavy periods and clotting/flooding. I was also anaemic.
I had some cramping for a day afterwards, but I guess with a GA you will get decent painkillers so that shouldn't be a problem,
I had 3 months of spotting, but then nothing! smile I've not had a period since and its bliss!
I've never been able to feel the strings but had a smear last week and the nurse could see that everything was in place.
Go for it OP! Good luck thanks

BestIsWest Sat 02-Jul-16 23:35:15

Had mine at 41 because of heavy periods and anaemia. I had light bleeding on and off for about 6 months but since then I haven't looked back.

I get no periods, no pmt, no breast pain. I had the first one in for 5 years, then had it changed and have had the second one in for 7 years (53 now). It's been fantastic.

MyBeloved Sun 03-Jul-16 21:35:56

This is great smile
Thank you all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now