Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this sound like (another bloody) anxiety symptom or do I need to get checked out?

(11 Posts)
PhilPhilConnors Thu 30-Jun-16 18:26:21

For the last year or so I've gone from one physical symptom of anxiety to another.
Last week I started with a weird sore throat, but not my throat, more the front of my neck.
Sometimes it feels like there's a lump.
If I do too much my chest below that area feels burny.

As with all the symptoms before, if I can wind down and not be with the DC be calm it fades away.

It started after reading about thyroid problems, which makes me wonder if it's psychosomatic.

Do I sit it out and relax or go and get it checked?

user1467128587 Fri 01-Jul-16 14:59:01

Hi Phil, for any kind of anxiety I use Linseed tea - here's a link to the recipe and how it works. rebuildyourhealthreclaimyourlife.com/2016/02/12/my-little-miracle/

Also make sure you are hydrated with water. If you're in a dehydrated state you'll naturally be anxious. Try increasing your water and adding 3 cups linseed tea per day and notice if you / the lump in your throat feels different smile

PhilPhilConnors Fri 01-Jul-16 18:33:36

Thank you, I'll give that a go smile

Vegemitemum Sun 03-Jul-16 13:54:57

There is an anxiety symptom called globus hystericus, it is harmless but can be very distressing if you already have anxiety. Could it be that?

Haggisfish Sun 03-Jul-16 13:58:25

I would ask for your thyroid to be checked.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 03-Jul-16 14:14:40

Have you had your thyroid checked? Either way it would be worth it, if there's something wrong you can start treating and if it's psychosomatic you will stop worrying and symptoms might go.

spanky2 Sun 03-Jul-16 14:27:28

Thank you for posting about this. This has been happening to me when I'm going to sleep at night, but didn't know what it was. It seems to have replaced the heart palpitations. It's odd as bed is my place of safety in the day but my enemy at night.

KittyOShea Sun 03-Jul-16 14:31:19

It sounds like globus hystericus. I had it for a while after my dad died and while going through peri menopause. It's died down now so it will pass if you find a way to calm your anxiety.

PhilPhilConnors Sun 03-Jul-16 15:55:14

It's actually stopped since posting this!
My thyroid was checked, but only the basic levels I think. I was found to have low iron levels and low vitamin d levels, which are both being treated.

Haggisfish Sun 03-Jul-16 16:06:19

Dehydration can cause globus. Do push for more thyroid tests, particularly for thyroid antibodies.

PhilPhilConnors Sun 03-Jul-16 16:41:21

I will Haggis, thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now