Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tramadol has me so sleepy

(6 Posts)
ashamed1986 Mon 27-Jun-16 11:17:35

Iv just took 50 mg of tramadol for coccyx pain . Gp prescribed it and told me to take 4 a day . Iv just taken 1 amd feel so so so sleepy. Is this normal ? Gp never mentioned this side effect..also feel a bit sickly. It's defo helping the pain but I'm struggling to keep eyes open

gobbin Mon 27-Jun-16 20:09:52

Yes, that's how it affects me, takes me far away from the pain. I was given it as a step down from morphine so I only had it when I was struggling a bit but it was very effective.

MountainDweller Mon 27-Jun-16 23:16:02

It keeps me awake! You could ask for the slow release version, I used to take that and there were supposed to be fewer side effects, and you don't get the peaks and troughs of pain. I found 150mg slow release twice a day was good, but 200mg made me a bit woozy.

Artistic Mon 27-Jun-16 23:22:29

Yes it also made me feel a bit 'high' & 'drunk'. Didn't mind it one bit & just enjoyed the pain-free high.

PacificDogwod Mon 27-Jun-16 23:24:40

It's an opiate, so a strong painkiller.
Yes, it can make you sleepy, whoozy, a bit slowed down.
It can also cause constipation and nausea.
It can lead to tolerance and dependency with longterm use.
There should have been a patient information leaflet?

Salene Mon 27-Jun-16 23:26:55

Yes because it's a opiate

A synthesised one but still a opiate and very powerful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now