Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any tips for Pre- menstral migraine

(6 Posts)
Aquamarine70 Sat 25-Jun-16 04:35:00

Any tips to help pre-menstrual migraine? I am currently lying down with a hot wheat pack on my head. I am 46 years old & my cycles range from 19-30 days. I seem to find the migraine is worse on a longer cycle. I've only suffered the migraines the past few years so I guess it must be my age. I take Panedeine Extra with 15mg codeine which does help a bit. Has anyone tried acupuncture for migraines?

Aquamarine70 Sat 25-Jun-16 04:38:06

I'm in Australia & we can buy 500mg of paracetamol & 15mg codeine OTC.

spookyelectric Sat 25-Jun-16 20:40:22

Go to the GP and get proper migraine meds such as Sumatriptan

Ilovelearning Sat 25-Jun-16 21:54:10

I've had pre-menstrual migraine for years, but since going on the preventative Pzotifen they have greatly reduced. It could be worth speaking to your doctor about using a preventative.

paddypants13 Sat 25-Jun-16 22:08:39

I find avoiding very strong flavours helps prevent migraines. Also, if I feel one coming on chocolate helps me. My migraines are hormonal or triggered by low blood sugar usually.

Aquamarine70 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:00:00

Thanks everyone. I can't take any Tpytan meds as they interact with my other medications. I did try another med but I reacted to it & it didn't help at all. I might try acupuncture & see if that may help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now