Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what could this be?

(21 Posts)
Getit Wed 22-Jun-16 21:50:02

DD has an itchy sore vagina. She says there is a rash and that the discharge is smelly. GP treated for thrush and fungal infection with anti fungal tablets. DD is not sexually active. She is 14. DD won't be examined by the gp. So this is the best I can describe her symptoms.

Getit Wed 22-Jun-16 22:32:20

Anyone?

sadie9 Wed 22-Jun-16 23:12:16

Maybe it is thrush? Has it cleared up since using the tablets? People of any age can get it. More often if it is hot weather or if irritated by using soaps etc in the bath or the chlorine in a swimming pool etc can kick it off.

Getit Thu 23-Jun-16 08:45:05

She says the cream and thrush tablet and the anti fungal tablets have done nothing.
She doesn't use bubble bath and hasn't been swimming.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 23-Jun-16 08:51:32

Worms? I believe they can end up in the vagina too. Might be worth worming her

FadedRed Thu 23-Jun-16 08:55:37

If i were you i would ask if DD would let the nurse take a swab to go to the path lab. If DD won't allow this, then can DD do this herself? A 'swab' is a sterile cotton bud on a stick (so very small and not painful),which she just puts into her vagina and then into the collection bottle which you then take back to the GP practice and they send it to the lab. This might show what, is any, bacteria are causing the symptoms.

Getit Thu 23-Jun-16 09:13:24

Would thrush cause a rash ?
DD doing the swab herself is a thought.

Getit Thu 23-Jun-16 11:50:10

bump

jalopy Sat 25-Jun-16 21:16:40

Perhaps it's a touch of bacterial vaginosis. Very common and can be treated with antibiotics.

Getit Wed 06-Jul-16 22:28:59

Updating as dd has seen no improvement.
Visited GP, dd allowed Dr to look. GP agreed it looked sore and slight rash. Gave dd a swab to do herself at home. Prescription for Penicillin for a week. DD finished the antibiotics and has not seen any improvement.
Any other ideas??

Getit Thu 07-Jul-16 07:58:27

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 07-Jul-16 08:00:22

Does she use scented sanitary towels?

Getit Thu 07-Jul-16 08:03:17

Yes well I think , brand Always etc.
If that were the issue though it wouldn't explain the smelly discharge.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 07-Jul-16 08:04:40

It would thrush. Always are known for causing irritation/ thrush etc.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 07-Jul-16 08:17:08

The discharge could just be a response to the irritation. She needs to get the swab done though, it's the best way to find the cause. Are you absolutely certain she isn't sexual active? A lot of girls her age are. Maybe she'd be better speaking to a female dr on her own

Getit Thu 07-Jul-16 09:11:31

She had time alone with the female GP.
I'm sure she isn't sexually active.
She's done the swab , I will call for results today.
What other brands of sanitary protection are unscented?
Thanks for the replies.

HerbWoman Thu 07-Jul-16 09:16:18

Does she use tampons? Could she have forgotten to take one out? (Although I would think it would have caused more problems than this after this length of time if she had.)

Getit Thu 07-Jul-16 12:37:54

She does sometimes use tampons yes and I did ask her if that was a possibility but she says not.

InternationalHouseofToast Thu 07-Jul-16 12:42:26

Lidl / Aldi sanitary towels are non scented. I think they sell Always as well but also have their own-brand ones.

MountainDweller Sat 09-Jul-16 06:19:36

Has she had the results of the swab yet? If it's thrush, local treatment with pessaries should clear it up. If it's bad, she needs to do 6 days in a row. Presumably if she uses tampons she'd be able to insert pessaries. She could follow this up with vaginal flora pessaries to restore the balance. In the meantime Multigyn actigel (white tube with purple design) is soothing (a bit tingly to start with) and will help with mild thrush or infection. I hope you get some answers flowers

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sat 09-Jul-16 06:36:33

Bacterial vaginosis causes a fishy smelling discharge and commonly reoccurs if you keep doing the things that upset your vagina's normal pH. E.g. baths, douching, vaginal 'cleaning' products, over washing, although sometimes no obvious cause. It is diagnosed by a swab and usually treated with the antibiotic metronidazole- penicillin wouldn't treat it.

Thrush can be resistant to initial treatment and can quickly recur so the fact she didn't respond doesn't mean it isn't thrush. Thrush discharge is commonly white, curdy, cottage cheese, itchy, sore.

STIs are more common in kids than we expect, and sometimes they do deny having had sex until there is irrefutable evidence, so if the Dr suggests an STI swab I would encourage her to have it (she can do it herself), at the least to rule this out.

A self swab is a good idea, as long as she manages to swab enough of the discharge to get a result.

If she isn't getting any joy would she consider an external examination e.g. just looking at the outside of her vagina? It sounds odd, but if you have a good GUM clinic near you (most likely if you live in a large city) they will be used to putting people at their ease and examining young people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now