Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Think i have coeliacs.. is it worth getting diagnosed?

(8 Posts)
Blossom90 Wed 22-Jun-16 19:56:08

I havd been unwell for years. Really lethargic, iron on the low side but not low enough to be classed anaemic, heart palpitations, tachy, swollen stomach, feeling weak, achy joints and swollen lymph glands. Symptoms got worse lately and started being sick after eating. I decided to try going gluten free and felt great a few days later. The best i had been in years. Now im pretty sure its coeliacs and i have a doctors appointment on Monday. But doing research shows you have to have a biopsy and i would have to continue eating gluten. For those of you who are diagnoses coeliacs did it make any difference. Is it worth enduring 6 weeks of pain to confirm what i think i already know? Basically are there any benefits to being diagnosed?

YesYABU Wed 22-Jun-16 19:59:02

Do it, just in case it isn't coeliac. No point cutting food groups out unless you have good reason.

I had blood tests etc and ruled it out, allowing drs to then look for other causes for my issues.

YesYABU Wed 22-Jun-16 20:00:49

Oh and my heart palpitations etc turned out to be an actual heart condition, so very worth ruling things out to get to a definitive diagnosis!

Blossom90 Thu 23-Jun-16 09:24:55

Sorry. Just noticed the number of typos in my orginal post!

Thanks for the reply. Thing is my doctor has kind of given up on me. Checked for h.pylori which was negative. And ive had ECG a few times that have all come back normal. I decided to have gluten yesterday to see what effect it would have and boy am i regretting it today. Stomach cramps and my joints are in agony making it difficult to get around. Confirms for me that gluten is the culprit.

Veterinari Thu 23-Jun-16 09:28:34

Yes get diagnosed. NY diagnosis have me acces to gluten free foods on prescription, a dietician and a bone density scan to check for osteoporosis. Because coeliac is an immune mediated disease you're also at increased risk of hypothyroidism and other immune mediated disease. All of these issues can be explored but only with a diagnosis

Banana99 Thu 23-Jun-16 09:36:12

Yes - there are several long term health issues associated with being an untreated coeliac (including bowel cancer).

At this stage - it's a blood test, nothing to lose really.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 23-Jun-16 09:38:25

I know it makes you feel awful, but keep on the gluten until you've seen the GP. The initial testing is a simple blood test but if that comes up negative they'll need to do an endoscopy biopsy.

I have gluten intolerance but tested negative for coeliacs. I had stopped eaten gluten, I just couldn't stand being ill anymore so its likely it was a false negative. For me, as long as I don't eat gluten I'm ok. I pay for prescriptions so costs me just as much to buy the food myself (I tend not to eat substitutes anyway) but as Vet says, with it being an auto-immune disease it leaves you prone to others

Blossom90 Thu 23-Jun-16 09:44:29

Thank you all. Back to the doctors Monday. I know in going to struggle eating gluten for weeks to get a result. But i have only been on gluten free for two weeks so i doubt much has changed in my body since then. Its just such a struggle to get things done when eating gluten.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now