Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallbladder surgery and pain

(5 Posts)
LostSoreConfused Wed 22-Jun-16 11:39:09

I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically less than a week ago. Everything I've read and everyone I've spoken to indicates recovery is a complete doddle and I should be recovered and on my feet in days.

So why am I not?

I feel like my innards are tearing every time I move. I've still not had a bowel movement despite taking senna daily and not taking any opiate pain relief. I have killer heartburn that ranitadine and lansoprazole aren't helping and passing wind makes me want to throw up.

Am I just unlucky or is this normal? How can I alleviate the problems?

TheDuchessOfArbroathsHat Wed 22-Jun-16 17:37:11

Totally normal! That ten day/two week bullshit is just that. Bullshit. It was 5 - 6 weeks before I felt nearly normal and many people say the same. Take care of yourself and don't overdo it!

NaraDeer Wed 22-Jun-16 17:48:33

I was in agony for far more than a few days!
After a week and a half, two weeks I began being able to move without wanting to scream and/or cry. It still bloody hurt but I was able to potter about a bit easier then.
Hope you feel better soon flowers

Gardencentregroupie Wed 22-Jun-16 17:56:32

I was off work for a month after mine, couldn't have gone back before that and I ended up badly constipated in agony not knowing the cause so was off work again. I recovered far faster from a 4th degree tear in labour ffs.

Some people do recover very well, my mum was back on her feet in a week and she's normally a total hypochondriac drama queen, and a friend sat up and ordered a pizza to her (private) ward!

LostSoreConfused Wed 22-Jun-16 18:47:33

Oh I feel less alone with it now! Thank you. Did you all have the bile reflux thing too? I wish I could eat more to take it away but I'm just not hungry. I feel like I'm just moping about feeling sorry for myself but my God this is so uncomfortable!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now