Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Another scabby toe thread (pic included)

(15 Posts)
redannie118 Tue 21-Jun-16 09:11:58

Hello
had a sore big toe about 5 days now, swollen red and throbbing. Yesterday the side went yellow and there seems to be some pus there. Painful but not enormously so, more of a throbbing pressure if you like. I was just going to go to Boots and have a word with the pharmacist, but DH went mad and said as I have a severe auto immune disease(systemic sclerosis) and im on low dose chemo I should go to the gp. I was all geared up to go when I spoke to my mum who said I was making a big deal out of nothing and should just go to Boots !! I must admit I do feel a bit daft wasting docs time for a manky toe ! Any ideas guys thanks smile

BluePitchFork Tue 21-Jun-16 09:19:50

go to gp.
the pharmacist will not be trained in complex medical conditions. the gl could look up your notes/confer with the consultant if needed. or refer if necessary.

redannie118 Tue 21-Jun-16 09:29:18

Yeah blue pitchfork dh said something similar ! Thanks for reply smile

redannie118 Thu 23-Jun-16 18:43:28

So went to gp. He roughly squeezed pus out and gave me antibiotics. I asked him if it was an ingrown toenail he grunted "maybe go to a podiatrist"and that was clearly the end of the session. Since then the pain has magnified a million percent and almost has me in tears. I was at work today and could barely put my weight on it. Heres a pic of it now, still seeping a little but much more swollen. Now I really dont know what to do sad

BluePitchFork Thu 23-Jun-16 18:51:24

the antibiotics should work fairly quickly. if no improvement by tomorrow lunchtime go back.
try if warmth or cold gives you relief.

SendARavenToRiverrun Thu 23-Jun-16 19:01:40

GP sounds a charmer hmm. The antibiotics should soon kick in. Maybe bathe it in some warm salt water then clean and let the air get to it?. If no better, back to the doctors. Get well soon m

redannie118 Thu 23-Jun-16 19:35:47

Thanks for your replies soaking as we speak smile hoping the antibiotics will have kicked in by tomorrow if not back to a different doc !!

Longdistance Thu 23-Jun-16 19:38:48

Sounds like an in grown toe nail.

Mine was a bit pus like and throbbing.

Shame your gps bed manner hmm I had one like that last week...

VenusRising Thu 23-Jun-16 19:41:26

Take off the varnish, trim your nail, across, NOT down the sides.

Bathe it in hot salty water, dry carefully, see if there's a splinter under your nail. If there is something gone under it, pull it out with a tweezers.

Cover the toe in germolene / bepanthen antiseptic cream / iodine and put a big plaster on it.

Wash it in salty water every 8 hours or so. And wrap up again.

Take the full course of antibiotics. Take a probiotic for your gut health.

RipeningApples Thu 23-Jun-16 19:46:38

It's an ingrowing toenail. You need a good chiropodist, sandals or wide fitting shoes, Sal water soaks and to massage the side of the skin away from the nail bed morning and evening. If, after the antibiotics, good management doesn't keep I at bay you need to be referee to have it dealt with permanently by a general surgeon.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 23-Jun-16 19:50:19

You shouldn't need to squeeze out pus when antibiotics are going to be prescribed.

I'd see a pod, you look involuted & the temptation is always to cut down the side because that's where the free edge of the nail is.

To cut straight across you'd have to let that grow out quite a bit.

mineofuselessinformation Thu 23-Jun-16 19:57:21

Are you recently diagnosed? It's a bit difficult to tell what to do when it's all new (dc1 has an auto-immune condition too).
Give the antibiotics a few days to do their work. If it doesn't settle, that will be the time to call your hospital team.
Soaking is a good idea as it will keep the skin soft and let it drain if it needs to.

redannie118 Thu 23-Jun-16 20:21:12

Hi yes the soaking is soothing thanks for reply guys smile

redannie118 Thu 23-Jun-16 20:39:39

Been diagnosed over a year been on methotrexate injections 6 month

mineofuselessinformation Thu 23-Jun-16 20:46:56

Don't forget you can always call the hospital for advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now