Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Periods stopped/IBS suggested/ovca worries

(16 Posts)
JoanFerguson Mon 20-Jun-16 16:27:24

Hi
I'm not sure what I'm really looking for here
My periods stopped in March after always being very regular
I left it till the start of this month then started to get concerned as I was having some ovulation like pains but still no periods
Also back is achey, started to feel a bit sicky and burpy, full up quickly etc
Doctor checked bloods including ca125 all normal, has referred for non urgent ultrasound which I am still waiting to get appointment through for
I am now increasingly bloated - I've lost 6lb since March (been on diet/doing exercise) but have put 4 inches on round my waist (measured round belly button)
The doctor has today suggested it isIBS and the period thing is just a coincidence. I'm really worried about ovarian cancer although I'm not high risk in any way (2 kids, under 40, long term breastfeeding etc)
I'm not constipated or having diarrhoea is it possible to have IBS without those symptoms? I don't feel cramps in my guts more a sort of burning feeling in my lower stomach, or over on the left hand side a hot feeling.
Does it sound likeIBS to those of that have it? Has anyone else had their periods randomly stop?

JoanFerguson Mon 20-Jun-16 16:32:15

Oh and I'm definitely not pregnant!

vikingorigins Mon 20-Jun-16 18:55:28

Doesn't sound like IBS to me. I would go back to your GP, TBH, and/or get a second opinion.

I've had IBS for many, many years. Involves (for me) a spasmy colicky pain high up in my abdomen and diarrhoea.

I wasn't high risk for bowel cancer but still got it, plus my bloods were normal.

PollyPerky Mon 20-Jun-16 19:47:09

I think you have to wait for your scan. If it's really worrying you, ask for it to be brought forward. In theory you have several signs of ovarian cancer and though it's most likely NOT your GP should refer you for a scan sooner rather than later. OC is very rare in women under 50 and there could be lots of reasons for all your symptoms. But unexplained weight loss is always something to take seriously. Having said that, if you are menopausal then it's possible to be the same weight or weigh less through losing muscle mass and still have a bigger waist.

See your GP soon and ask for that scan now!

JoanFerguson Mon 20-Jun-16 20:00:08

I saw the GP today, he said there is no grounds for an urgent scan. The bloods checked hormone levels and nothing indicates I'm menopausal/perimenopausal.

I'll just need to wait and hope the scan doesn't take too long. He gave me mebevrine(?) for the theoretical IBS.

Thanks for replying. If it was just the bloating symptoms without the lack of periods I doubt I'd be so worried tbh it's the fact that there is something gynaecological occurring at the same time that's given me the fear.

vikingorigins Mon 20-Jun-16 23:12:08

Mebeverine is really good for the spasmy pains I get with IBS. As you aren't having that pain, I can't see it's worth you taking it.

KateLivesInEngland Mon 20-Jun-16 23:27:04

Not sure if it relevant to your problem but I will tell you my story.
I have always suffered really badly with what was diagnosed as IBS. Bloating, cramping pain, terrible internal spasms, trumping like a good un etc.

But when I was pregnant it went away until about 6months post partum, then returned then disappeared again with next pregnancy. (Four kids) I mentioned this in passing to GP and he said that the progesterone based pill would probably help my IBS as it would mimic pregnancy and fool my system.
I haven't ever taken the pill as I don't trust it/ myself as an actual method of contraception but I have heard people take it to control Hormones etc and use other contraception.

PollyPerky Tue 21-Jun-16 11:02:07

OP the likelihood is you are ok but your GP is wrong, I'm afraid. Too many cases of OC are picked up too late and it's usually a combo of women not seeking help and GPs not knowing the signs.

You have 3 symptoms that are linked to OC- frequent bloating, loss of weight and increased girth.

The C125 test is known to be inaccurate in all but the most advanced cases of OC.

Suggest you look at the charity OVACOME. They have a good site with lists of symptoms and also a tracker type of app so you can chart your symptoms daily and take to your GP.

PollyPerky Tue 21-Jun-16 11:04:10

Ovacome tracker

BearFoxBear Tue 21-Jun-16 12:22:01

This all sounds familiar and I’ve been tested for OC too, all clear but something has sorted me out.

I started to get severe ovulation type pains just over a year ago (am 40, had ds 2 years ago) and periods going a little bit wonky. I’ve been really tired, achy, bloated, feeling sick etc. and had lost some weight unexpectedly.

GP referred me for an ultrasound, had a CA125 test and hormone panel bloods - all fine.

I also had to see my dietician recently. I’ve had IBS since I was 15 and it didn’t feel like that at all – I always had severe cramping, dia/constipation. I’ve mainly been gluten and dairy free since diagnosis, but during pregnancy I was able to tolerate both and had kept eating like this since having DS. She told me to drop both again as she thinks it related, and 4 weeks later the ovulation type pain has stopped and I feel a hundred times better overall. I have energy, bloating has gone, no sickness, no pain. I thought that I knew everything there was to know about managing my IBS, but apparently not, I’m really surprised.

If I was you I would still push for a scan and further investigation, but maybe try dropping gluten and dairy over a few weeks and see how you feel?

JoanFerguson Tue 21-Jun-16 14:17:23

I've never had any sensitivity to gluten or dairy before now, it seems unlikely I would develop it in my late 30s? I've never had any problems with my digestive system at all, apart from indigestion when I was pregnant the second time.
Still no us appointment

BearFoxBear Tue 21-Jun-16 14:40:22

No necessarily - my ibs was triggered by food poisoning (campylobacter), but antibiotics, stress and genetic factors can cause it. It's linked to an immune response to something which caries from person to person. My dh has it too and there's no clear reason for it, but it came on in his 20s. It's hard to fathom, but it happens.

PollyPerky Tue 21-Jun-16 15:53:24

I don't think food intolerances affect the immune system. Coeliac is an auto-immune system disease but food intolerances are just that- your body can't tolerate them. Blood tests are useless for this- there's a lot of hype about them and it's a scam. The only way is to go on an elimination diet.

OP- did your GP do anything at your appt? Did he feel your tummy or do an internal to see if he could find anything? A large cyst or a tumour would be 'found' by someone knowing what they were doing.

JoanFerguson Tue 21-Jun-16 16:03:40

The first two times I went he didn't examine me at all, the third time when I directly asked if he was even going to examine my stomach he did a cursory 2 second examination of my stomach and said it all feels normal.

BearFoxBear Tue 21-Jun-16 21:07:44

There is evidence that ibs causes chronic but low grade immune activation though, and

BearFoxBear Tue 21-Jun-16 21:14:48

There's actually increasing evidence that sensitivity to certain foods causes chronic but low grade immune activation. Elimination is indeed the only way to figure out what's causing it - gluten and lactose are the main culprits for most.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now