Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stupidly I have sprained my ankle. Any advice?

(6 Posts)
elephantoverthehill Sun 19-Jun-16 20:09:13

Last night my leg 'went to sleep' I thought I had better get up and stretch it, only I failed on the getting up bit. It is bruised, swollen and painful. I have been to A&E and it is sprained. The Dr said they will not strap it up as sprains heal better without, however he did say if it was troublesome at work, I might want something to support it. So my question is what is best; a bandage, tubigrip or one of those neoprene things? This has never happened to me before and I think I will need to get something tomorrow.

LIZS Sun 19-Jun-16 20:17:07

Tubigrip . Make sure you keep flexing it, write imaginary letters and figures of 8 in the air. Arnica gel can help with bruising.

BikeRunSki Sun 19-Jun-16 20:19:03

I am a veteran of sprained ankles. Be prepared that it will take several weeks to heal 3-6 is normal.

I take it you've fine the whole Elevate, Rest, Ice, Compression business ?

Keep resting.....

The hospital were right, no strapping is best, but I have one of those big blue neoprene things for when I need extra support, I didn't really do a 10K with a sprained ankle and tramadol and tubigrip for compression without support.
Rest, rest, rest but also do a bit of rotation to keep the range of movement strong once it starts to feel a bit better.

elephantoverthehill Sun 19-Jun-16 20:21:57

Thanks, I put Arnica on last night, but you have reminded me to do it again. I have been trying to do circles with my feet and I am getting some of the movement back. Paracetamol is helping but the pain just makes me feel really sick.

MariaSklodowska Sun 19-Jun-16 20:22:57

Have had many sprained ankles - rest rest rest (if you can)

elephantoverthehill Sun 19-Jun-16 20:27:34

I have fully embraced RICE, but I have to be on my feet all day at work and walk a lot. I will get a tubigrip and apologise for wearing Crocs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now