Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do these sound like IBS symptoms?

(4 Posts)
hookiewookie29 Sat 18-Jun-16 16:26:41

This all started a couple of years ago. Was on holiday and started with a stitch like pain in my side, just to the left of my belly button. As the day went on, the pain spread across to my belly button area and became a cramp like, knotting pain. Felt generally rough for a couple of days but no nausea, or sickness. I ended up taking ibuprofen and buscopan which seemed to help.
The area around my belly button and to the left of my belly button was bloated and tender, and my guts made a lot of gurgling noises! Also had very bad wind. Went to the loo, and it was very loose, although not watery or diarrhoea.Felt better the next day, but was unable to go to the loo. By the third day everything was almost back to normal.
This problem now flares up every now and then. I can go weeks and weeks with no trouble at all, then seems to flare up out of nowhere. The pain niggles in my side, and I get the griping pain across my belly button area-almost like contractions! The area is tender and bloated.My appetite is still fine, I'm not sick or nauseous, I can stretch, bend and lift and it doesn't make it worse or aggravate it There is no blood or mucus in my faeces and I haven't had any unexplained weight loss.
Buscopan , ibuprofen and paracetamol help.
I have been to the doctor but I wasn't really satisfied with what I was told. Up until a couple of years ago my doctors surgery had four permanent doctors who had been there years and were brilliant. Three have now retired and it's almost impossible to get an appointment with the fourth, who I really want to see. I have seen two different locums who I don't feel addressed my problem fully- one just sent me away with a prescription for antacid tablets!
So I know you're not all doctors on here, but I would like to know if anyone recognises these symptoms while I try and get an appointment with the last remaining permanent doctor at my surgery!
Thanks x

Just5minswithDacre Sat 18-Jun-16 16:30:53

Yes it does.

FuzzyOwl Sat 18-Jun-16 16:35:58

It could well be IBS but you say it flares up every now and then, so it might be worth keeping a diary to see if there are any triggers and whether it could be something else. I have IBS and also endometriosis and the latter can be very similar but is quite well controlled when I am on the pill - however, certain times of the month (ovulation in particular) sets it off.

FuzzyOwl Sat 18-Jun-16 16:53:39

It could well be IBS but you say it flares up every now and then, so it might be worth keeping a diary to see if there are any triggers and whether it could be something else. I have IBS and also endometriosis and the latter can be very similar but is quite well controlled when I am on the pill - however, certain times of the month (ovulation in particular) sets it off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now