Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone with IBS/IBD please read (maybe TMI)!

(11 Posts)
trickynicky Fri 17-Jun-16 09:19:47

I am waiting for a colonoscopy having had intermittent diarrhoea for about a month or so. I passed the tiniest bit of blood (I do have internal piles so could be that)...either way, it's important to get it all checked.

However, my biggest query is "what the heck is happening with my BM"!? I am having the weirdest experiences. Yesterday perfectly normal bm - no blood, brown and "normal" looking. Today - early morning call - one small hard round lump after pushing for a while. Half an hour later, perfectly normal bm. Then 10 mins ago after toast and water, mad gurgling in tummy followed shortly afterwards by a rush to the toilet... have now had to take an imodium as I am teaching this morning!! OMG. My stomach felt fine (hungry) and now feel sore and gripey.

Does this sound like symptoms of IBS or IBD? i am praying none of this is colon cancer but it feels like my bowels are inflamed or very irritable. What do you think??
Thank you.

trickynicky Fri 17-Jun-16 13:31:01

bump...anyone please?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Fri 17-Jun-16 18:01:08

I was on your previous thread, so hello again smile

I don't have IBS or IBD. I have bowel cancer. But it's very unlikely that's what your symptoms are, as I mentioned before. I just didn't want to leave your thread unanswered. There's a lot of overlap between my treatment and the treatment for UC.

Are you using Imodium a lot? If so, that may well be interfering with things. I know it must be tricky with a job like teaching though.

It all sounds uncomfortable, but not overly alarming. It could easily be a bug or something that has irritated your bowel. It's really impossible to know without the test results as there are only a few possible bowel symptoms and they are similar for many conditions.

I hope you get a colonoscopy appointment soon to put your mind at rest flowers

It might be helpful to keep a diary of symptoms if you are not already doing so. Record what you eat and drink, bowel habits, any medication including over the counter etc. Then if it turns out to be IBS the diary may give you some clues about possible triggers.

educatingarti Fri 17-Jun-16 18:04:33

Sounds very like my IBS symptoms. I've cut out wheat and now don't get the symptoms unless I really overstretch myself physically!

Girliefriendlikesflowers Fri 17-Jun-16 18:06:06

Sounds like IBS, similar symptoms to mine.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Fri 17-Jun-16 18:07:32

I have IBS too and it sounds similar

ILoveMyMonkey Fri 17-Jun-16 18:08:51

Sounds very like my IBS symptoms. I've cut out wheat and now don't get the symptoms unless I really overstretch myself physically!

I'm exactly the same, no longer eat wheat and am 99% better.

idontlikealdi Fri 17-Jun-16 18:31:17

Me too. My IBS completely disappeared when I went low carb and gradually reintroducing carbs I realised it was definitely the wheat.

ishouldcocoa Fri 17-Jun-16 18:33:32

I would think it could well be wheat, or maybe dairy. I would cut one out for a month, and then the other - for the next month. See how you get on...

Veterinari Fri 17-Jun-16 18:40:50

Ask them to investigate you for coeliac disease and also bile acid malabsorption - both conditions are under diagnosed but surprisingly common, and cause the symptoms you describe

starryskies78 Fri 17-Jun-16 18:43:17

I have CD and it sounds like mine too. Not to worry you, but there is a lot of overlap. A big issue with CD is fatigue, others indicators can be weight loss, mouth ulcers, loss of appetite. The Crohns and Colitis UK website is a good place to start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now