Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Terrible intestinal gas - ibs or something else?

(8 Posts)
Hueandcry Tue 14-Jun-16 22:23:47

I have diagnosed ibs which has been particularly bad lately but now have a few recent symptoms which don't fit the normal pattern - namely really uncomfortable gas which is quite explosive & hard to control. In the past few days I've also needed to rush to the loo soon after eating & am mortified that I have actually blocked the toilet twice. Can't get a gp appointment without a phone consultation first & just can't bring myself to do it. Any advice?

Hueandcry Thu 16-Jun-16 18:23:08

Please can anyone help. In a lot of pain today, had to rush home from walking the dog to go to the loo & been having pain & passing lots of gas & mucous stuff

FaithAscending Fri 17-Jun-16 08:19:34

I can get this. I've tried a variety of approaches but the thing that made the most improvement was a low carb/high fat diet. I think essentially excess sugar was causing the bad gas. I'm also wheat intolerant.
I find taking regular buscopan helps initially but do have a look at your diet.

Hueandcry Sat 18-Jun-16 19:45:34

Apparently wheat intolerance runs in my family but I never knew til now. Will try a change of . Diet but is there a test for wheat intolerance?

FaithAscending Sat 18-Jun-16 21:55:34

Have you ever been tested for coeliac disease?

FaithAscending Sat 18-Jun-16 21:57:49

If you haven't, it's important to continue a normal diet until you have. If that comes back normal, then exclusion is the best way to confirm.

nennyrainbow Sat 18-Jun-16 22:03:38

Dairy / lactose intolerance could also cause similar symptoms. Might be worth experimenting with cutting out one thing eg gluten or dairy at a time for at least a couple of days each and see if symptoms improve. If you're unable to digest your food properly, that would result in a lot of wind. If a change of diet doesn't help, then could be IBS.

FaithAscending Sun 19-Jun-16 08:49:47

I'd ask for bloods to check for coeliac disease. If they're negative, get referred to the dietitian to do the low FODMAP diet which excludes trigger foods including wheat and dairy then introduces stuff one at a time to see what triggers you. I had an 80% reduction in symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now