Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bulletproof diet

(5 Posts)
mindfullmoments Sun 12-Jun-16 22:42:04

Hello, does anyone follow this new fad? Is it any good?

Lelivre Mon 13-Jun-16 22:06:29

I started bulletproof coffee about 6 months ago. I've not missed a day since. I wouldn't want to start the day without it. I felt so good on the coffee I started to move towards the diet also. I was already gluten free. I quickly ditched sugar and alcohol. Also this week I dropped diary except for buffer. I have almost no other carbs (no grains or white potatoes) I have some rice occasionally or a small amount of sweet potato. I aim for a ketogenic approach for breakfast and lunch. I eat lots more fish and I eat more local beef, seeking out grass fed. It is worth noting protein servings are not large. My vegetable servings are large. My fat portions (oil, butter, Advocado, coconut oil/milk) is pretty high compared to what I was used to and probably most other people (I have no off switch for fat.)

I have some underlying health problems and I am coming off all my prescription meds right now (mostly pain meds) I'm quite sure the diet is helping me improve my health.

I am also interested in the terry wahls protocol and I'm leaning towards that presently although the approaches are very similar.

As an aside...Weight melts off.

princessconsuelabannahammock Mon 13-Jun-16 22:13:50

I have a bulletproof coffee every morning and love them. The rest of the day i follow a low carb high fat diet, so loads of green veg and unprocessed foods but i do also eat dairy but not milk and in much smaller quantities than before. I am losing weight and i dont get hungry or have ibs symptoms anymore.

Lelivre - do you mind me asking how much you have lost? I have 4st to lose and it feels like i will never get there!

Trills Mon 13-Jun-16 22:14:52

Fad.

Lelivre Tue 14-Jun-16 09:30:55

I'm doing this for health not weight. I have noticed I've dropped some but I haven't weighed myself.

I can see why the bulletproof coffee may be seen as unusual. But the rest is really ancestral eating with tweaks...Basically a lot of lower carb veg, moderate quality protein and an eye on fats (omega 3 over 6 and a focus on DHA).

Simply the approach is a moderate amount quality meat and fish and a lot of veg, and using fats like coconut and grassfed butter.

The Terry Wahls story is very compelling if one has health problems and is looking for motivation. I believe she has bullet proof tea rather than coffee to get her MCT quota. Her TED talk is still up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now