Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could it be IBS or similar?

(13 Posts)
Lydiabelle Fri 10-Jun-16 14:48:42

Hi everyone

Will just give brief outline to what's going on, just wondered if anyone had similar symptoms and a diagnosis or might be able to help me in any way.....(sorry to have to go into detail !!)

Always suffered with generalised anxiety, have had IBS symptoms in the past (stomach pains relieved by bowel movement, urgency etc)

Just recently gone through a stressful period. Had a week of fresh PR bleeding which was sorted with suppositories so no further investigation being done. Had bloods taken and all fine, no sign of inflammation etc.

Anyway - past 5/6 days I've had urgency not associated with any abdominal pain, stools were very mushy and lots of gas for couple days but this has settled and Now more formed. However, going 3-4 times before lunch and passing smaller amounts each time? Almost like I'm not emptying my bowels properly so have to keep going...

Just thought IBS was always associated with cramps?

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Sorry to ramble !
X

Lilybensmum1 Fri 10-Jun-16 17:29:22

Hi OP what suppositories are you using? I didn't think IBS was generally associated with PR bleeding. I know you said your bloods are ok and no inflammation, but that does not exclude all bowel conditions. Have you had a faecal calprotectin level done that can distinguish between IBS and IBD ie higher level in IBD.

Have you had a sigmoidoscopy? I would follow up with the GP to exclude something more serious and if IBS is confirmed a lot of people find the low FODMAP diet helps relieve and prove symptoms.

Lydiabelle Fri 10-Jun-16 18:37:39

Proctosedyl ... He did do PR exam and felt no abnormalities but as they stopped the bleeding he thinks it was either a pile or inflammation and unlikely to be the bowel.

He also said they won't investigate unusual bowel habits unless it's been 3 weeks or more.... He thinks my anxiety could be causing bowels to play up?

You've worried me a bit now!

vikingorigins Fri 10-Jun-16 19:49:25

Please don't take as gospel that bloods OK=nothing serious.

I had 7 months of going back and forth to the GP with urgency and having to go a lot more often. Because they took bloods at the first visit and they were normal they just kept saying it obviously wasn't anything serious, because it would have shown up in the bloods.

When I finally got referred to the hospital to shut me up my bowel cancer had spread to my lymph nodes shock. GP did apologise.

Lydiabelle Fri 10-Jun-16 21:25:23

May I ask what symptoms you had?

vikingorigins Sat 11-Jun-16 18:00:56

My only symptom was increased toileting. In the beginning it was worse during a period and OK the rest of the time, but as time went on it was all the time.

By the time I was referred I was having to go 10 times a day, including getting up in the night. By that time I often felt I wasn't empty and still needed to go (but couldn't).

I only had bleeding and mucous after I'd been referred, (so 7 months after I first noticed the symptoms) yet most of the literature suggests that's an initial symptom. I had one episode of severe abdominal pain the day they decided to finally refer me, which wasn't repeated.

PollyPerky Sat 11-Jun-16 19:48:40

Did you have any of the risk factors for this Viking?
ie family / genetic history, big meat eater, smoker, drinker, overweight, aged 60+?
Sorry to be nosy but my 'normal' pooing can be 3-4 times a day so your story is worrying me a bit.

Lydiabelle Sat 11-Jun-16 22:30:36

It worries me to polly!
I'm going 4 times before lunch and used to only go once a day

peggyundercrackers Sat 11-Jun-16 22:37:29

I think with your symptoms I would want referred and a sigmoidoscopy carried out to be absolutely certain. It's more than likely something but nothing however get it checked out to be sure, it's a simple painless procedure and will put your mind at rest given you have anxiety.

vikingorigins Sun 12-Jun-16 22:21:30

Polly no risk factors. No family history, never smoked, don't drink, vegetarian for entire adult life, in early 40s, slightly overweight but not obese. No earthly reason for me to get it.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Sun 12-Jun-16 22:33:20

Could be something like Crohn's or Colitis. Yy to pp who suggested faecal calprotectin test (tip: fashion a bowl out of tin foil and transfer from there to test tube with the provided spatula thingie) blood work doesn't always show up the right things. Also ask for copy of blood results to keep on file and get a copy every time you have some done, you can compare results with how you felt at fine of test,I always know when my white cells are going to come back as abnormal for instance. Also ask to get tested for thyroid, that can cause diarrhoea and all the extra toilet time could cause the bleeding, ie a fissure or tiny tear which is fairly common. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk more about it flowers

Archiesnan Sun 12-Jun-16 23:46:23

My 18 year old son has been having severe stomach cramps and going to the toilet at least 5 times a day since at around October. He's loosing weight and his appetite is hit and miss. He had a colonoscopy Monday and that was clear, we are waiting for blood results - thyroid and cealiac disease. Does it sound like IBS ? Or would that show on a colonoscopy ? He's so not himself and I hate seeing him so uncomfortable.

peggyundercrackers Sun 12-Jun-16 23:57:38

Colonoscopy is only really for things like cancer, UC, IBD etc. where they can actually see something. IBS is normally a diagnosis given after they have ruled out lots of other things and can't find anything. If they found nothing on the colonoscopy they will have ruled out lots of things as the cause of the issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now