Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anaemia

(9 Posts)
Tortandgrab Fri 10-Jun-16 11:51:42

Hi all

I've yet again been diagnosed with iron deficient anaemia, discussing it with GP next week. I've had this on and off for years, even when having no periods.

Particularly bad 2 years ago after birth, haemoglobin levels dropped to 6 but no transfusion and now getting palpitations and dizziness again

My periods are the lightest they've been, very regular, and I find contraceptive meds interfere and make me a bit crazy!! I take spatone 1-2x per day, and eat lots of green veg.

Any advice on what to ask GP to avoid being fobbed off again and given ferrous sulphate? Want to avoid constipation due to prolapses.
Thanks!

Tortandgrab Sat 11-Jun-16 10:24:23

Bump for traffic smile

Kennington Sat 11-Jun-16 12:07:06

I took ferrous sulphate and bought vitamin c from the chemist and some b vitamins.
Buy a mild laxative, reduce dairy and tea too. Ate lots of red meat. Yum.
It took 6-8 weeks to feel better.

Blingygolightly Sat 11-Jun-16 12:10:05

I take spatone on a daily basis. Doctor recommended them. I order them off amazon as they're cheaper than at Boots. They made a massive difference to me in about 10 days.

Musicaltheatremum Sat 11-Jun-16 12:15:02

Have you been tested for coeliac disease? If you don't have another reason to be anaemic then our hospital guidelines advise getting checked.

Tortandgrab Sat 11-Jun-16 12:27:47

Thanks all, I've tried ferrous sulphate with laxatives but no long term relief, and I take spatone every day. Not much dairy in my diet and although I'm a coffee fiend I do mainly drink decaf.

I'll ask about coeliac disease, although I've never had much issue after eating gluten - my main source of carbs is potatoes.

Just frustrating always being told to persist with iron supplements, felt rubbish now for almost 2 years.

MiniMum97 Sat 11-Jun-16 14:13:37

Have you specifically asked to be checked for possible causes of why your iron levels are continually low? I find you have to go the GP equipped with some knowledge and request exactly what you want otherwise you don't get anywhere!

Tortandgrab Sat 11-Jun-16 16:45:44

I have before but with no success; I worry that there's something else going on but so far all GPs I've seen have been reluctant to do anything other than blame my periods, which they then don't do anything about.

Think I'll ask about coeliac disease or tranexamic acid tablets as an alternative to the pill.

Rhubardandcustard Sat 11-Jun-16 16:57:00

Another vote here for testing for coeliac disease. Had anaemia post baby for 5 years before I was diagnosed with coeliac. Symptoms vary could just be tiredness and migraines or mouth ulcers etc, there are many symptoms and everyone varies in how they present. But undiagnosed anaemia should be investigated further by doctor to find out cause not just taking iron tablets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now