Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long to take off work for open surgery?

(10 Posts)
getlostdailyfail Wed 08-Jun-16 18:27:32

Hi,

I'll be having open stomach surgery soon and I'm wondering how long I'll need to take off work to recover? My work is partly physical, with lots of walking. Thanks! smile

gobbin Wed 08-Jun-16 19:57:35

I've had two lots of bowel surgery in the last two years. Had 12 weeks off the first time and 8 weeks the second (smaller op, more complications though). My job isn't physical but was very ill before the first op so took longer to recover.

goddessofsmallthings Wed 08-Jun-16 20:44:15

If your job involves lifting or hefting heavy weights around I suggest you seek advice from your surgeon after the op.

bluebelle2662 Wed 08-Jun-16 21:14:06

You will need to be off a good 8 weeks I would say, if not longer. Your surgeon is the best person to ask. It does depends on your op

NicknameUsed Wed 08-Jun-16 21:22:56

OH had major stomach surgery last year and it was several months before he started feeling fully well again.

Even after you feel that you have healed up the tiredness gets to you. OH's consultant told him that it could take up to a year.

I would hazard a guess that it might be as much as 12 weeks or more if your job is physical. It may be several weeks before you are able to drive as well. Insurance companies tend to refer you back to your doctor for advice.

The criteria for OH was:
Being able to do an emergency stop
Being able to twist around to see behind him
Being able to concentrate

Good luck with the op.

getlostdailyfail Wed 08-Jun-16 22:05:17

Thanks! It doesn't require lifting but quite a bit of walking, plus the commute.

AnnaMarlowe Wed 08-Jun-16 22:07:02

Your doctor/consultant will advise.

BikeRunSki Wed 08-Jun-16 22:07:37

Surely your consultant will be able to advise?

getlostdailyfail Wed 08-Jun-16 22:13:20

Thanks, I'll ask the consultant, just planning in advance smile

fireandicecubes Thu 09-Jun-16 17:37:42

I had a bowel resection in Feb 2015 & went back to work middle of June. I was very ill before the op though & hadn't been to work for 4 weeks. I couldn't drive for 6 weeks & was very tired for a while afterwards. My surgeon recommended at least 8 weeks off after the op but then wouldn't sign me back to work until I'd had a colonoscopy to check where they'd joined the bowel back together.

Hope your surgery goes ok flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now