Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Migraine & piercings

(6 Posts)
Rico08 Wed 08-Jun-16 18:21:59

Has anybody had any experience of daith piercing to help migraines?

I've read conflicting info some says it works others say it's twaddle. Wanted to know people experience with it.
Thanks

dragonwarrior Wed 08-Jun-16 18:25:18

I have a daith piercing, I can honestly say I haven't had a headache in 8 months.

I got the piercing because I like it but I noticed I hadn't when somebody asked.

lostscot Wed 08-Jun-16 18:31:56

Following this as I've always had terrible headaches and migraines. I'm also a complete wimp though so not sure I'd cope with the piercing!

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Wed 08-Jun-16 18:37:40

Putting it as nicely as possible, it's twaddle. I've had SO many people asking for daith piercings recently on the basis of this completely unfounded migraine-curing theory.

There is absolutely no medical proof it works. Even from an acupuncture perspective, any benefit from the piercing would eventually wear off. Some people may experience a placebo effect - that's it.

My response to people asking for it as a migraine cure is to say that there's no medical evidence it does anything, if it helps then great, but if not, you still have a really nice piercing.

Wolpertinger Wed 08-Jun-16 19:36:45

Twaddle. I've heard of people having pieercing all over the ears who've never had another migraine. There is no evidence for any acupuncture at all

FWIW I sometimes use an acupuncture stud behind my ear when I haven't got any sumatriptan and it works a bit if the migraine isn't too bad - but it's nowhere as good as proper drugs.

And I learnt that on a Medical Acupuncture course who would have been all over Daith piercings if there was a hint of them doing anything and they never mentioned them once.

lougle Thu 09-Jun-16 22:09:55

I suffer from migraines a lot. I have tried all sorts of drugs. I have botox injections every few months.

If I had a £1 for every time someone tells me that I should try shoving a hole in my ear because it will fix me....well it would probably make my migraines seem a bit more bearablegrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now