Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena coil - still bleeding after 7 months

(4 Posts)
boydoggies Mon 06-Jun-16 14:56:12

Had the mirena coil fitted 7 months ago due to fibroids/menorrhagia.
Had a few months of grotty pain, bleeding and recurrent infection. Even had one whole week of not bleeding.
However, I am still bleeding daily 7 months down the line. Not enough to make me anaemic again. Plus the pain has settled. Constipation is a little irksome. Should the bleeding have settled by now? Is there anything that can be done to improve/get rid of the bleeding? Will my gynae consultant be interested? Next stop is hysterectomy, which I'd like toavoid if possible. Any advice please? Oh, I'm 43.

joeythenutter Fri 10-Jun-16 21:46:13

I have had the mirena in for over 7 years now, (endometriosis and fibroids) long overdue to be out. For the first year or so I had the same as you. The mirena, what I have read seems to cause this for many. Mention it to the gynae but I doubt if they will do anything as mine just said it can take time to settle.

If its any consolation after it settled I had and still have next to no bleeding at all for years now. So it can be a blessing to just wait it out.

MildlyattractiveBetty Fri 10-Jun-16 21:47:45

It took mine 9 months or so to settle, is it kind of dark brown gunky blood? (Sorry for tmi)

MildlyattractiveBetty Fri 10-Jun-16 21:49:52

Also agree with previous poster I think with endo and thickness of the womb lining it takes longer to thin it down. So those of us who have polyps/fibroids/endo seem to have to wait a bit longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now