Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recovering from surgery - what can I do while I'm stuck on the sofa?

(18 Posts)
DebCee Thu 02-Jun-16 09:17:41

I'm recovering from prolapse surgery, off work until September, I can see the later part of my recovery will be very pleasant, but heck, it's been 9 days and I'm bored now!

I'm allowed short walks so am going out for 10 minutes 4 times a day, but not up to much more. Tried a 20 minute walk yesterday and carefully unloaded the dishwasher, then could feel more discomfort so suspect that was overdoing it.

Am spending loads of time on here and facebook, it's quite addictive but it does leave me feeling a bit meh.

Don't seem to have the concentration for reading or even watching telly, just CBA. Visitors are lovely but tiring and don't have any planned for today.

So - anyone else had major surgery? How did you pass the long days? All suggestions gratefully received.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Thu 02-Jun-16 09:22:12

Audiobooks are less tiring than reading. BBC Radio usually has a load of programmes that are worth listening to as well. If you find a podcast that you like then you can often work your way through a load of back-episodes, I particularly recommend The Infinite Monkey Cage, funny and informative.

NoCapes Thu 02-Jun-16 09:25:22

Have you got a colouring book? Or some puzzle books? Crosswords and the like?
If it were me I'd probably just binge watch all the rubbish girly shows and films I never get chance to when everyone else is around and eat my body weight in chocolate and pastries
Or start a really controversial thread on here and sit back and laugh at the hysteria

Hope you have a speedy recovery, be kind to yourself flowersbrewcake

BrieAndChilli Thu 02-Jun-16 09:25:53

Craft
Learn knitting
Computer games
Reorganise digital photos
Reorganise finances
Drawing
Online quizzes
Start internet window shopping for xmas

Sofie565 Thu 02-Jun-16 09:28:23

I started a Steam account ( gaming) and used my Netflix account to catch up on all the TV my partner doesn't really watch. I did a lot of drawing too.

Depends what you like doing. If you get bored get some family or friends to come over too

SlinkyVagabond Thu 02-Jun-16 09:29:06

How about learning a craft like crochet or knitting? Get someone to get you a ball of wool and a hook and you tube how to vids. Or what about something artistic? A little sketch book and some black fibre pens-Google or Pinterest zentangle or mindful doodling. You really don't need much artistic skill.

TheFairyCaravan Thu 02-Jun-16 09:30:29

9 days is still really early. You're healing so it's understandable you don't really feel up to much.

I've had far too much major surgery. Last year, before I went in, I taught myself to crochet. I'd been wanting to do it for years. By the time I was getting back up on my feet again I'd made 2 blankets!

Is there something you fancy learning or that you already know but haven't had time for for a long time?

TheFairyCaravan Thu 02-Jun-16 09:31:06

Cross posts Slinky!

Costacoffeeplease Thu 02-Jun-16 09:38:37

You could do some online courses with a website like futurelearn

Listen to radio 4 extra, they have some good dramas and comedy/panel shows etc

DebCee Thu 02-Jun-16 13:59:01

Thanks so much everybody, some great ideas there. Have found myself feeling more positive this morning just because the sum is shining, feel better just for sitting out in the garden instead of slumping on the couch.

Some of those suggestions were on my list but just not feeling up to them yet - really want to learn crochet and have a lot of organising type things I could be getting on with, just not quite happening.

I think Radio 4 /colouring/knitting sounds very possible. And might be nearly up to a bit of binge watching, have got Netflix just haven't been inspired so far. But it'll pass!

Thanks again, all.

CoconuttyOil Thu 02-Jun-16 21:52:51

I work full time so when I had surgery (TVT for stress incontinence) a couple of years ago I enjoyed having a few friends to visit during the day as I'd not normally be able to do that. I also bought a sun lounger and enjoyed reading in the sunshine and also took short walks around the block.

Can I ask what prolapse surgery you've had? I've been offered more surgery for rectocele and so would need much longer off. My plan if I do eventually opt for surgery is to have it done around this time of year so I can enjoy being out in the sunshine in the back garden rather than be cooped up inside in winter. I'm still umming and arhing whether to have the surgery at the moment so have at least put it off until next year.

Hope your recovery continues to go well.

MatildaTheCat Thu 02-Jun-16 22:59:02

I am seconding the FutureLearn idea. I've done lots of their free courses and have just started one on mindfulness which is very good but their are so many choices there has to be something for anyone.

No time pressure and lots of satisfaction to achieve something.

simplydivine05 Sun 05-Jun-16 20:51:45

I was on bed rest after an accident nearly five years ago. After two weeks I was bored out of my mind. I started making bookmarks from my bed side. Eventually I learned new crafts and fast forward several years and I have my own full time business. All because I needed something to keep my brain ticking.

Chewbecca Mon 06-Jun-16 10:11:43

Early days after surgery, I find my brain is a bit mushy so learning / reading is out.

I've downloaded a jigsaw puzzle app on my iPad, that whiled away quite a few hours!

Hopefully it won't be long before you're feeling up to more challenging activities.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 06-Jun-16 10:18:15

sort out photos smile

NavyAndWhite Mon 06-Jun-16 14:46:27

Have you watched Breaking Bad?

wannabestressfree Mon 06-Jun-16 14:56:01

I am in the same position (sort of) except I am seeing surgeon Wednesday then fingers crossed will go in when hdu bed is available for a stomal tumour which is enormous (24inch) I am desperate to have it done as St marks have already refused and this is my last ditch attempt....
Have been off nearly four weeks already (am a teacher) and exhausted as it bleeds heavily, I have short bowel and ulceration around my stoma and am on my fourth lot of antibiotics....
I just want it sorted. I am permanently wiped out....and a crap patient.

bewilderedfish Tue 07-Jun-16 17:05:20

Play hay day on the iPad! You'll lose hours! All the best with your recovery, I had it done in 2010 and after 6 weeks joined an advanced rehab physio course at my hospital. I went every morning for exercises, hydrotherapy and acupuncture. It got me back in my feet, strengthened my core and meant I could go back to full time work after just 3 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now