Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone use a CPAP machine for sleep apnoea?

(5 Posts)
GinThief Wed 01-Jun-16 14:54:50

I'm waiting for my 2nd sleep study, ongoing chronic fatigue is really causing me problems with work and everyday tasks.

Respiratory consultant thinks CPAP will improve my fatigue. Not sure I like the idea of sleeping with a mask on. Anyone had any experience with a CPAP machine? Is it easy to transport as I travel with work a lot?

lougle Wed 01-Jun-16 19:35:18

I'm a nurse (ICU) who uses CPAP at work and my mother has sleep apnoea and used to use a mask. I think the masks do take time to acclimatise to, but you should benefit hugely from wearing one. The home CPAP units are very small, about the size of a shoe box.

kittensandgin Wed 01-Jun-16 20:56:59

My mother's DP uses a CPAP machine for sleep apnoea. As lougle said the home units are relatively small, so quite easy to transport. He quickly got used to sleeping with the mask on but DM is a light sleeper and still struggling to block out the noise from the CPAP six months later. I believe they are discussing separate bedrooms now.

Luciferbox Wed 01-Jun-16 21:00:25

DH has had one for 6 weeks and is now so much better on it. The mask does take time to get used to but he used to be exhausted all the time and fell asleep at the drop of a hat. Now he has loads more energy and no longer feels awful all the time. I hope you have a positive experience too.

unadulterateddad Wed 01-Jun-16 21:05:15

I've had a cpap for 10 years and I love it - made such a difference to my life (and anyone else within about a mile when I was asleep).

CPAPs or APAPs (which I now use) come in differenct sizes, but most are about the size of a dictionary. I also travel for work and whilst it can be a pain carrying the bag around for an overnighter, it's not really a big problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now