Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this something I can leave for 2 weeks or do I need to see the doctor now?!

(23 Posts)
thumb3lina Tue 31-May-16 09:36:01

I had a c-section (emergency) 5 1/2 months ago. It never did stop hurting from the point I was at about 2 weeks after surgery and its still quite red with some hard swelling above the scar, all the way along it.

Anyway my point is, over the last few days, i've noticed the end of the scar is leaking some kind of colourless fluid. The only reason I could tell because it is putting a mark on my knickers, the scar looks dry otherwise (just sore). Its still very numb but if i touch the scar there it feels stingy. The main pain is coming from underneath though, like period cramps.

I have an appointment in 2 weeks but should I go before then? DH thinks my scar is opening back up shock blush and also has anyone else experienced this?

NoahVale Tue 31-May-16 09:41:21

ooh, i think you should at least ring the doctors

do you have a temperature?

thumb3lina Tue 31-May-16 09:57:31

My temperature is 36.7C so normal (I think)

Hulababy Tue 31-May-16 09:59:43

Sounds like there may be a slight infection. I had similar.
I'd make a new appointment

ProfYaffle Tue 31-May-16 10:01:48

I've had 2 sections and never experienced anything like that. I think I'd see a Dr sooner than 2 weeks.

thumb3lina Tue 31-May-16 10:28:32

Do you think I can leave it 1 week?

ProfYaffle How long did it take before you were not in pain anymore?

I just cleaned the scar with the solution I was given when it was done, which has made it more painful.

ProfYaffle Tue 31-May-16 12:59:41

I can't remember exactly (last one was 9 years ago now!) but I was out and about as normal more or less straight away. The pain definitely didn't increase. Maybe ring 111 for some advice?

Imnotaslimjim Tue 31-May-16 19:11:39

That does sound like it needs seeing to ASAP. It's possible it hasn't healed underneath or you have some retained stitches. If its becoming more painful then it needs checking over.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 31-May-16 19:17:48

Infections can take hold quickly and the last thing you want is to have more tissue cut out or a bigger scar.
Definitely seek advice if you develop a high temperature or feel feverish as you will need a course of anti biotics.
NHS direct might be able to give advice if you're worried.

loosechange Tue 31-May-16 19:24:48

Uneeds you are unwell overnight (fever /pus/ more pain/scar opening up more) it will wait until tomorrow, but you need to be seen tomorrow. If there are no appointments tell the receptionist you are concerned re a wound infection. They should arrange appointment /discussion with triage staff based on that.

thumb3lina Tue 31-May-16 19:39:11

I can't phone 111 as we are expats living abroad currently.

Can anyone guess what might happen when I go in? Is it likely just to see the scar, give me some tablets?! I'll be seeing the doctor who did my c-section at the hospital but after a pretty traumatic birth I'm scared of someone even touching the scar.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 31-May-16 20:32:17

I expect they would give you some antibiotic tablets or possibly some cream and instructions to come back if it's not better after a week or so(?) Sorry I'm not an expert.

It sounds odd but my sister swore by putting a sanitary towel over her sore CS scar to stop it rubbing on clothes.

Hope it's better soon.

purpleporpoise Tue 31-May-16 20:38:41

I had this. It's just body fluid if it's clear orangey liquid. If it's cloudy or green it's infected, or if it smells.
I stood in the bath and squeezed it out and dressed it. I showed it to the GP and she said that it has to come out and prescribed antibiotics just to be on the safe side.
Fwiw I think you need to get it checked sooner than later just in case

thumb3lina Tue 31-May-16 20:41:46

purpleporpoise Was yours painful/stingy too? and how long after your cs did your wound start leaking? I think its just clear liquid smile

8FencingWire Tue 31-May-16 20:44:43

So long after an op it should have healed. Please see someone.

fruitpastille Tue 31-May-16 20:46:23

My first one was quite red and raised up (keloid scarring I think) but not painful and certainly no issues at 5 months. I wouldn't leave it a week personally.

thumb3lina Tue 31-May-16 21:04:31

I'll have to ring in the morning. I'm actually more worried about the state the scar is on the inside as it feels like more pain is coming from inside my uterus than on the scar its self.

Just googled Keloid scarring and I think mine must be that. Mine looks awful sad

MelanieWiggles Tue 31-May-16 21:09:11

I had this (although it was about two weeks post c-section). It was an infection. They drained the fluid in hospital and prescribed antibiotics. The side of the scar which had 'leaked' took a lot longer to heal but ultimately was fine (seven years ago now!). I would try and see a doctor tomorrow if possible.

thumb3lina Tue 31-May-16 21:18:05

MelanieWiggles How did they drain it? Sounds painful shock

ScottishSmegHead Tue 31-May-16 21:19:09

I've had a similar experience, OP and you do need to see a doctor who will take a swab to check for infection. I've had several laparoptomies and a c-section and my scar opened up after 4 weeks with lots of pus and blood. As much as you're just passing clear liquid, it shouldn't be like that after 5 months and any pain is an indication of possible infection so best to see someone as soon as you can in case it gets worse. Hope you're ok

Iknownuffink Tue 31-May-16 21:21:53

Can you ask on an expat forum of the country you are in?

I suggest you need to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible.

MelanieWiggles Tue 31-May-16 21:27:31

The nurse squeezed it until all the fluid was gone. She was actually quite taken aback at how much fluid there was - DH said watching her do that was worse than watching the birth itself smile I don't remember it hurting much though. Anyway it was all fine in the end !

thumb3lina Tue 31-May-16 21:39:44

Iknownuffink Well I could, but I use Mumsnet and I don't think cesarean section wounds heal differently depending on the country your currently living in, so may as well ask here wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now