Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this normal for chickenpox? Pic attached

(10 Posts)
Bigfam Wed 25-May-16 16:35:33

My 16 month old has caught chickenpox from her siblings, she has a fair few spots, but there's this rash on her back. It kind of looks like shingles, any ideas?

justabigdisco Wed 25-May-16 17:40:22

You can't catch shingles from chickenpox although I agree it does look shingles like! Possibly an infected area of skin from one of the spots. Does she have eczema? Get thee to the GP!

Bigfam Wed 25-May-16 17:44:18

I know you can't, I was just making the comparison. Gp won't see her unless she has temp/is generally unwell.
Could be eczema, didn't think of that, thanks

dementedpixie Wed 25-May-16 17:45:02

Shingles is a reactivation of chicken pox they have had in the past. Are you sure they haven't had cp before?

Bigfam Wed 25-May-16 17:47:17

Yep, they've definitely not had them before

Legendofthephoenix Wed 25-May-16 17:51:26

Call your hv she will get an appointment for you. They have to issue you with an appointment. Don't doctors like to work anymore or is it just about the pay. Sorry for rant.

justabigdisco Wed 25-May-16 18:01:31

I would call the GP and say she has an unusual rash that is different from the rest of the pox and wondering if it might be infected. I'd be amazed if they refuse to see her.

Bigfam Wed 25-May-16 18:02:44

Thanks for advice, I'll give them a call in the morning and push for her to be seen

Legendofthephoenix Thu 26-May-16 18:24:11

Bigfam did you get an appointment today and if you did how did it go?

Bigfam Thu 26-May-16 20:18:33

Hi, yes I did. Gp said it's most likely a virus that caused the rash, have since bought piriton and lotion as she was up every half an hour last night. Thanks for coming back to check Legendofthephoenix smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now