Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Elevated BP, headaches, palpitations

(3 Posts)
TheFear Tue 24-May-16 12:48:58

Woke up yesterday feeling good, went to work, then had a headache which I put down to sinus (I get sinus pain regularly). Drank tons of water and ate something and it wasn't going away so I popped some paracetamol and pseudoephedrine but oddly the pain was getting worse and I started getting palpitations and I was finding it hard to focus my eyes.. Went home early and went to bed. DH suggested I check my BP (have a home monitor from a period years ago when I had stress related BP problems, but never went on meds).
Diastolic was elevated, have been taking it approx hourly since except through the night and it's hovering around 116/87 on average. Still have headache and palpitations, although milder than they were yesterday.

Any ideas what this might be? Should I see my GP?
My mum has had BP issues that have lead to other health issues (heart arrythmia) so I am conscious at my age (46) that I might be following in her footsteps..
Don't you know I'll go to see GP and my BP will be perfect! hmm

tobee Tue 24-May-16 20:28:10

The bp doesn't sound too bad to me. But have you read side effects of pseudophedrine? If I remember rightly it can cause palpitations etc. I know several people who have felt very odd after taking it.

Lifeisontheup2 Wed 25-May-16 16:50:13

Your BP sounds fine if it's accurate plus if you've got palpitations the BP monitor will not be accurate.
Pseudoephedrine also gives lots of people palpitations, it certainly does me. I wouldn't worry too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now