Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really bad EAR PAIN!!!

(13 Posts)
Fatty12 Mon 23-May-16 23:07:08

Hi everyone

Simce saturday evening i'v been in agony and still am with an ear pain. I went doctors today who said it was an infection and has prescribed me anti biotics. I'v taken 2 so far accompanied with painkillers! This has made NO difference. Literally worse today than yesterday ;-((((.

Does anyone know what i can do to reduce this pain?? How long till the anti biotics work??

toriap2 Tue 24-May-16 06:25:03

Hi. Earache sucks doesnt it Have you tried warm olive oil held in with cotton wool then holding a hot water bottle to your ear. This always seems to work when I have earache. Hope it eases soon.

snowgirl29 Tue 24-May-16 06:29:20

Hi OP what painkillers have you been taking? If you can take ibuprofen (I.e not asthmatic for instance) that should help with the swelling and should help the pain in turn.
Hope you're feeling better soon. flowers

Fatty12 Tue 24-May-16 08:46:49

toriap2 I've only got the cooking olive oil, can i use that?

snowgirl29 well i started off with paracetomol and then the normal ibuprofen but lastnight i took the extra strength ibuprofen because nothing else was making any difference in the pain. Im not sure if that helped because i fell asleep shortly after but i'll be taking it again after breakfast so we'll see.

Thankyou for your replies.

toriap2 Tue 24-May-16 23:06:47

Sorry, yes any oil is fine. Hope you are feeling better

Fatty12 Thu 26-May-16 21:32:50

toriap2 helloo. Im feeling worse than when i wrote this post. On monday GP prescribed me antibiotics, they didnt work. I rang back and was told to finish the course for 7 days and then CB. Anyway lastnight the pain was unbearable, i was in tears literally. I rang NHS, they called me in, the doctor said i need drops because its my outer ear thats infected. So iv used them drops 3 times today BUT the pains still the same.

I really hope I don't have to live with this all the way till monday.

Fingers crossed it gets better with just these drops

snowgirl29 Thu 26-May-16 22:25:59

If you're still in pain now and both the drops and antibiotics have not been working. You need to go back and be more sterner / assertive with your GP OP.

I'm not talking as a pretentious arse by the way. I'm talking as someone who is now significantly deaf in one ear due to recurrent ear infections not being treated effectively in my childhood.
Is there an out of hours you can go to if the pain is literally, unbearable tonight?
If not, I'd say Drs again tomorrow and insist on being seen either again or by someone else. flowers feel better soon OP.

gamerchick Thu 26-May-16 22:29:52

Soluable painkillers in warm water will work better than pills.

mumsnit Thu 26-May-16 22:38:22

I've have an ear infection too - was prescribed antibiotic drops and pain is now going although I can't hear anything at all!! I would definitely go back if the pain isn't getting any better. Poor you sad
Don't put any olive oil in your ears if you have an infection though - will trap in the infection and make it it more difficult to shift!

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 26-May-16 22:42:21

I took codeine when I last had an ear infection, pain was excruciating, I was sobbing.

Definitely go back to docs if you've been taking antiB since Monday and they're not taking effect.

Sympathies, ear infections are horrible!

snowgirl29 Fri 27-May-16 07:11:14

Hi OP, how is the pain this morning?

Fatty12 Fri 27-May-16 11:24:42

Thankyou so mcuh for the comments. Seriously, made my day!

Okay i woke up literally screaming in pain this morning. Rang GP, they called me in straight away. I'm not sure if this makes sense but he said the infections mainly cleared today since using the drops and theres a little bit of inflamation left. Apparantly when the infection finishes, it gets more painful?! And according to him i should be back to normal by monday the latest or I should go back to see him.

He has given me stronger pain killers which thankfully have worked for now and the pains reduced dramatically! The ibuprofen did not have any effect whatsoever!

I'll continue to take these tablets and the drops till monday.

I'v got an 8 month old and seriously it's so difficult to deal with it. How do people cope? Esp those with no family or support, because this really isn't just any old pain.

toriap2 Sun 29-May-16 08:20:14

So glad you are feeling better xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now