Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anxiety- what does it feel like

(8 Posts)
sequinsandwich Sun 22-May-16 03:16:52

I have a stressful job, a toddler and single handedly run the household the majority of the time (DH works offshore). I have started having bad migraines, heart palpitations and sometimes just out of nowhere a feeling of dread/ "impending doom" (I feel sick to my stomach, nervous). I'm not sure what exactly for but it feels like my heart is going to just stop.

I am a natural worrier, have always been this way. I am slightly "OCD" I suppose about having things a certain way. I struggle to leave the house without checking multiple times that the oven is off, the straighteners are off, I turned the shower off etc. I back the car out of the garage, park on the drive and go back inside to double check everything and on occasion have driven down the street to turn back and check again. We don't burn candles, have things plugged in unless being used, the front door locked & chained at all times etc

I am not a "risk taker" I don't fly, go on high speed trains, go to theme parks, go on boats etc Even though I know the "risk" is minimal I would just rather not do it.

I know all of these things are irrational but I wouldn't say I suffer with anxiety. Am I minimising? In other ways I am very, very laid back. My parenting style is very laid back I was never PFB about routines etc. I am quite spontaneous on a weekend with what we do. People in work see me as calm, collected but they can't see inside myself when I feel like I am about to collapse. Everyone is the same (extremely under pressure) so even if I vocalised it I wouldn't get more help- we are chronically understaffed.

I am concidering going to my GP about the headaches and palpitations. I am worried it's something more (eg a heart problem). Do I sound like an anxious person to the point of worry or do I sound normal? I feel so stupid asking but I am constantly on a state of "alert" I feel so worn down by it all. I am up so late because I was awoken by the sick to stomach/ heart thumping feeling. DH is away and I finally needed to get everything off my chest.

Thank you for reading.

FarrowandBallAche Sun 22-May-16 05:47:53

You sound extremely anxious OP.

Please see your GP. You poor thing, you don't have to suffer like this.

Hiddlesnake Sun 22-May-16 05:59:32

I get cold shivers yet my face flames, break out in a sweat, feeling on impending doom, a massive knot in my abdomen, jaw clenching... Anxiety is a mental condition with massive physical effects.
After a particularly anxious period, with several flushes, I get a sort of anxiety hangover. My body feels full of left over chemicals (is this adrenaline? I don't know) and I'm exhausted.
I'm having a bad patch right now, so my sympathies are with you OP. Do go and see your GP and get some RL support.

Baconyum Sun 22-May-16 06:02:20

Sounds like 'real' OCD to me. But a dr would need to diagnose.

I have contamination OCD and if you replace the checking with avoiding germs (bins, drains, public loos...) that's me.

Anxiety - headaches, nausea, horrible feeling in pit of stomach, palpitations, dizziness, faint feelings...

See your GP they will be immensely helpful

luellabelle Sun 22-May-16 23:05:19

For me anxiety is a constant feeling of unease, like low level butterflies. I tend to struggle to sleep, struggle to concentrate and feel like my head is spinning. Funnily enough I don't feel depressed or unhappy and it doesn't stop me doing anything, it's just always there.

gamerchick Sun 22-May-16 23:08:28

What you're describing is anxiety. Go to your GP.

oktimetodoit Mon 23-May-16 11:50:52

Exactly as you have wrote OP, I also have an overwhelming urge to bolt from where ever or what ever I am doing. I would go and have a chat with your GP and see if he/she can help. flowers

IamtheDevilsAvocado Tue 24-May-16 00:58:11

Poor you! It does sound like classic anxiety.... BUT your GP will want to check you out to ensure nothing physical is wrong with you.

Anx and OCD does feel horrid - one of tje key cardinal features is the amount your symptoms interfere with your normal life.... Which it soundsas though it is?

The good news is it is eminently treatable... I would deffo take up the offer of any talking therapy on offer.... For both general anx/stress reactions and OCD, the technique with best outcome is cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) ... This has the best evidence.... Often it's case of sucking and seeing!

Good. Luck! I hope you're feeling better as soon as!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now