Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Optical neuritis

(6 Posts)
mumineedapooooo Fri 20-May-16 12:46:30

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has suffered with this and can give me their experience or any advice please. What does it feel like etc.
My gp thinks I have it and has referred me to a neurologist but my appointment isn't until July. The gp and optician was talking about it being a sign of MS and after a search on here I'm absolutely petrified.
Also my appointment letter was very brief, what will they do at this appointment?

CharleyDavidson Sat 21-May-16 23:12:07

My friend was suspected to have this. It's inflamation of the optic nerve and it causes pain and problems with vision.

It can be a symptom of MS, but for her it wasn't. It can be a side effect of anything that can cause inflammation of the nerve.

She was seen by a hospital optician (sort of) and was sent for an evoked potential test. This is where you have wires put over your scalp and they then flash lights/images/sounds at you and the wires record how your brain responds.

A chat with a neurologist can just be some random questions and some testing of reactions and your muscle control if you have yet to have been referred for any specific tests.

RueDeWakening Sat 21-May-16 23:19:16

I had it, it was a sign of MS (sorry). That was 8 years ago, and nothing much has happened since then. I don't see any neurologist/have any follow ups. At diagnosis they did an MRI, the doctor checked my eyes but just agreed it was ON, it went away within a few weeks of its own accord. From memory, it caused me to have double vision and I couldn't move my eye properly to one side (left I think) but the other way was fine. It was VERY strange!

I've had very few further symptoms related to MS until earlier this year, nor needed any treatment so far. Fingers crossed yours isn't linked, but if it is, it doesn't necessarily mean everything will suddenly change.

SaoirseLikeInertia Sat 21-May-16 23:19:28

I have MS and have had ON as part of a relapse. For me, it was in my right eye, I had double vision and blurred vision. It was cleared up using steroids. Not had it again since, it was a one-off 2 years ago.

Karoleann Sun 22-May-16 09:05:10

most people who are diagnosed with ON do not go on to be diagnosed with MS.
if you don't have any other signs/symptoms of MS then i really wouldn't be concerned. It often clears up without too much intervention.

NanaNina Sun 22-May-16 14:42:07

I agree with Karoleann - my DH had ON donkey's years ago and they thought it might be related to a severe attack of shingles that he'd had some time previously. MS was mentioned but nothing more has happened and it cleared up, and that was about 20 years ago.

Try not to worry OP (easier said than done I know) and DON'T google - Please. It's only going to make you worry more. There are lots of reasons for ON so there's little point fixating on one possibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now