Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Drowsiness on citirazine?

(8 Posts)
Wanderingwondering Thu 19-May-16 18:27:19

I've taken citirazine for hayfever for a number of years but for the last week something has been making me very tired. I've been struggling to keep my eyes open and have been going to bed much earlier.
Is it likely to be the citirazine or could it be something else?

ApologiesToInsectLife Thu 19-May-16 18:33:33

It has that effect on me too. I take loratadine and a nasal spray instead.

Spam88 Thu 19-May-16 22:43:38

You could try switching to loratadine instead to see if the drowsiness goes away, but it seems unlikely that the cetirizine is making you drowsy if it never has before.

BusStopBetty Thu 19-May-16 22:48:32

Try taking it at bed time instead.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-May-16 22:53:22

I suddenly can't take any anti histamines without feeling drowsy. Good job nasal spray works! I've been taking tablets for years with now issues,very odd.

Wanderingwondering Fri 20-May-16 08:22:15

I'll pick up some loratindine today and see how it goes.
Taking it at bedtime is a good idea too-would it still be effective the following evening if so though as that's when I seen to suffer most from the hayfever

MountainDweller Sat 21-May-16 02:04:52

I find ceterizine works for me for 24 hours. I would take at bedtime and see. If you still have symptoms in the evening maybe you could take it mid evening once you've had dinner, cleared up, etc, then if you get sleepy it won't matter so much.

Loratadine keeps me awake at night... Even if I take it in the morning!

hollinhurst84 Sat 21-May-16 02:19:04

Seems odd if it's just started. I take 4 X 10mg a day and am ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now