Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone donated bone marrow/stem cell

(5 Posts)
sparkle789 Thu 19-May-16 14:43:42

I had an email today saying I'm a potential match for someone. I've spoken to the registry and booked a blood test with my doctors.

What is the next step after they receive my blood sample?

I've suddenly gone very nervous.

Twitterqueen Thu 19-May-16 14:49:08

Wow! That's amazing! I would be incredibly proud if I were you.

I haven't done it myself but as far as I understand it, the process is pretty simple these days. 3 or 4 hours in hospital, but dressed and sitting, with an 'in' tube and an 'out' tube. And I think injections for 5 days prior to stimulate the cells.

Twitterqueen Thu 19-May-16 14:50:40

sorry, you asked about next steps. I don't know those - only the actual donation process.

It was life-saving for the person I knew.

beepbeep Thu 19-May-16 14:54:07

my nephew gave bone marrow, he was in theatre for not long at all while it was taken from him, then he was a bit sore for a few days afterwards. He had to be careful health wise for a while whilst his immune system build up again. He saved a life, for a bit of discomfort I think it's worth it!

try contacting Anthony Nolan, they should be able to talk you through it.

Westcountrygemini Thu 19-May-16 22:03:12

I've had this a couple of times. Basically, they do a blood test and, then, ime, another one a few weeks later if the first one proved you are a decent match. Both times, they haven't taken it further with me but have asked me not to have acupuncture, a tattoo, other 'stuff' which might interfere with your blood for a few months whilst they decide if they want you to actually donate.

As I got quite close last time, I asked them what happens at donation time. They reassured me that most times it's as described above, rarely these days is it any more invasive than a few hours in hospital, sat in a chair, giving blood.

Hope that helps out your mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now