Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Borderline cervical smear

(5 Posts)
oldfatandtired1 Wed 18-May-16 19:00:40

My latest smear showed a 'borderline' result. The lab tested the sample for HPV and reported there was no evidence of HPV. My next test is now due in 5 years time.

Does this sound OK? I would have thought a borderline result would mean a recall. I have no symptoms or pain, am 55 (4 years post menopause) and have recently started a new relationship after divorce.

SmellyHead Wed 18-May-16 19:08:59

They used to change the recall period for borderline smears, but now they test for HPV and if that's negative you stay on normal recall which for people over 49 is five-yearly. That's been the case for a few years now.

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cervical-screening-test/Pages/Results.aspx

cheesecakechops Wed 18-May-16 19:55:27

Borderline changes usually resolve themselves and most people go on to have a negative result at the next smear.
The fact you tested negative for HPV is usually a good indicator that the borderline changes won't progress

oldfatandtired1 Wed 18-May-16 20:43:09

Thanks both, I am reassured. My smear was looooong overdue and I was beginning to worry! I have to see the nurse for BP next week so will take the opportunity for a chat.

cheesecakechops Wed 18-May-16 20:59:47

I think most women I see are overdue! wink
Not sure if it helps to know but even borderline changes take about 5-10 years to develop into anything sinister! So you still would have caught it in more than enough time.... The beauty of the smear!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now