Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Spontaneously bursting blood vessels

(7 Posts)
EustachianTube Tue 17-May-16 19:28:55

I've had a couple of times where a blood vessel, usually in my fingers, has just suddenly burst under the skin. It's very painful at the time but nothing much happens apart from developing a bruise. I haven't mentioned it to a doctor but having recently learnt my lesson about that (ignored symptoms for a couple of years, then found there was actually something properly wrong with me!) I think I should probably mention it next time I'm there? Does anyone have this and have found a reason behind it? I have been diagnosed with a couple of autoimmune conditions so am wondering if it may be linked to that somehow

Corneliussnitch Tue 17-May-16 21:17:43

This happened to me a lot before again nearly always fingers but once a bigger bleed on top of my foot, I was diagnosed as hypothyroid and once this was treated hardly ever happens now

Patterkiller Tue 17-May-16 21:23:47

I have had this happen a good few times. I suffer thyroid problems but never connected the two.

EustachianTube Tue 17-May-16 21:48:40

Hmm interesting, I have pernicious anaemia and it seems to go hand in hand with thyroid issues, although my results have always been ok so far. I will mention it next time I see a GP and see what they say.

sunnydayinmay Tue 17-May-16 21:52:13

I get this (it happened yesterday on my finger). I had thyroid problems after ds was born, but they sorted on their own. It was an autoimmune condition.

Tbh, I thought it was linked to Raynaud's syndrome.

exWifebeginsat40 Tue 17-May-16 21:54:38

this used to happen to me a lot, in my fingers and toes. i had a year-long case of idiopathic neutropenia and this seemed to coincide.

it hardly ever happens now. i asked my haematologist and he said it wasn't necessarily related, but that there was no definitive answer as to why it happens.

not very helpful, sorry! i'm always a bit excited to hear about other people this has happened to.

EustachianTube Tue 17-May-16 22:20:36

I don't have any symptoms of raynauds I don't think. Interesting about the neutropenia exwife, I have low lymphocytes which don't seem to have any particular cause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now