Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

General anaesthetic yesterday AM and haven't slept a wink last night - normal?

(6 Posts)
INeedNewShoes Tue 17-May-16 04:39:20

I had a GA for a quick 10 minute surgery yesterday morning.

Usually I sleep so well regardless of things like stress, health etc.and last night I haven't slept at all.

Is it a known thing that GA disrupts sleep patterns?

INeedNewShoes Tue 17-May-16 06:01:21

Shameless bump. Has anyone else experienced this?

lozwil Tue 17-May-16 06:15:53

I had a ga in Aug last year I had it for a short op and as it was an emergency it was done about midnight so I thought it wouldn't affect my sleep but it took me about a week or two to get back to a normal sleep pattern I found getting to sleep ok but woke up about 1 pottered about for a couple of hour and them managed a bit more sleep so I think it is a side affect but hopefully it won't last long x x

TheodoreEvelynMoseby Tue 17-May-16 06:24:00

It happened to me too. I had op around 11am and I slept on and off until midnight but then I was wide awake and could not sleep at all. Very frustrating but for me it was just that night and I was pretty much back to normal (sleep wise) the following day.

flowers wishing you a speedy recovery

INeedNewShoes Tue 17-May-16 06:31:33

Thanks for answering. It's so frustrating to feel so tired and in discomfort and not be able to sleep when I know that sleep will help me recover! Humph.

VeryNaice Tue 17-May-16 06:37:24

I had GA recently and found it hard to sleep the night after. It settled down after a few days and I'm sleeping normally again. If I can't sleep for whatever reason I just get up and go downstairs for an hour and have a cup of chamomile tea then go back to bed - it usually works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now