Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Experience of leg vein stripping please

(4 Posts)
Thebewilderbeest Mon 16-May-16 22:44:51

12 days ago I had two veins stripped from my leg. Long story short, my varicose veins were bad enough for the NHS to bother with, the first surgeon messed it up and as a result they have had to strip them the old fashioned way instead of the more modern methods that are preferred now.

My leg still hurts like hell, I was expecting pain obviously, but I am due back at work on Thursday and I am horrified at the idea of 5 hours on my feet. I work part time as a cleaner.

I am moving around as much as I can, but at the moment about an hour of pottering is all I can manage before I have to hobble to the sofa and get my feet up to relieve the pain.

Should I get signed off for another week? Or do I need to push through the pain to get the blood flowing? I haven't even driven yet because I don't think I would be safe. Has anyone else had this done? Thanks.

VocationalGoat Mon 16-May-16 22:48:32

Definitely get signed off, especially if you've had stripping. I've had four procedures over the past decade on my right leg. The first time was a stripping and it seemed to be weeks before I was back on my feet. Definitely get signed off for a week or two.

VocationalGoat Mon 16-May-16 22:51:12

Meaning get signed of for a further week or two. It took me a month to walk properly the first time around. The newer procedures are so much better BUT my veins are already coming back after a year. Stripping gives you much better results, though it's definitely more painful with a far longer recovery time. flowers

Thebewilderbeest Mon 16-May-16 23:15:12

Thanks, was worried I was just being a pansy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now