Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Burning pain when lowering elevated sprained ankle - help?

(1 Post)
FrancesPow Sun 15-May-16 11:15:48

Hello,

I injured my ankle just over a week ago and have been on crutches and in a cast ever since. Apparently I have a minor fracture and massive soft tissue damage. When I went to the fracture clinic to have the temporary cast removed the ankle was still very swollen because I hadn't been raising it high enough, but since then I've been careful to have it above the level of my heart whenever possible. The swelling has greatly reduced (I now have a removable cast so can check it), but whenever I lower my leg to get up I get an agonising burning pain in the injured area. It usually passes after a few minutes but is horrible while it's happening.

My questions are:

Is this pain a normal part of the healing process or something to be concerned about?

Is there anything I can do to alleviate it while it's happening or should I just grit my teeth and let it pass?

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now