Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Piriton and zantac - help I have taken together

(7 Posts)
Notthinkingclearly Thu 12-May-16 23:14:35

Took zantac earlier today but just now I panicked as I ate something that could contain nuts ( which I am very allergic to.) so downed some piriton . Will I be ok?

notapizzaeater Thu 12-May-16 23:16:40

Zantac is for acid piriton is for allergies ? Different type of drugs ?

Fwaffy Thu 12-May-16 23:19:25

Not a problem at all. They are sometimes given together regularly for particular types of allergic conditions anyway and you definitely shouldn't hesitate to cover yourself in case you've ingested nuts. You made the right call.

Notthinkingclearly Thu 12-May-16 23:36:23

Thank you for your speedy reply. I will try and calm down now

Piffpaffpoff Thu 12-May-16 23:39:11

We had a nut scare with DS the other week and the nurse at A&E said it was ok to double up different types of antihistamines in this scenario. I'd say it's ok when there's a nut scare.

gingeroots Fri 13-May-16 08:02:06

notapizzaeater - zantac/ranatadine is an antihistamine .Usually prescribed for suppressing stomach acid ,but will also have an effect on allergic reactions .

Leag1 Mon 16-May-16 23:36:05

Bit late here but I'm a pharmacist... The zantac with block H2 receptors which have minimal affect on allergy. Piriton blocks H1 histamine which causes allergic reaction. They are fine to take together smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now