Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DMIL blood results show abnormal liver function. What could this be?

(9 Posts)
IamAnIAMSgirl Thu 12-May-16 21:32:25

Hello, DMIL went for a pre-op check yesterday regarding a suspicious polyp which will be removed in a couple of weeks.

This afternoon, her GP called her to say the hospital have unfortunately identified an abnormality with her liver function test. They are booking her in for a ct scan and postponing the operation.

What on earth can this mean? Liver cancer is what sprang to mind first. FYI she is quite a heavy and regular drinker.

Obviously we are all worried.

Anyone with any experience of this?

IamAnIAMSgirl Fri 13-May-16 07:05:56

Anyone?

momb Fri 13-May-16 07:16:40

I'm sorry you are going through this. It must be a worrying time for you all.
If they did standard tests they wouldn't be able to pinpoint what is wrong but but probably elevated plasma levels of liver enzymes or bile salts which would indicate cellular damage, which is why they need further tests. If he's a heavy drinker it may be fatty liver, cirrhosis, any number of metabolic disorders, autoimmune disease or cancer. If he hasn't had abdominal pain it's unlikely (but not impossible) that it's gall bladder.
Let them investigate further and go from there.

EustachianTube Fri 13-May-16 07:17:20

We do have recent experience of this with my MIL. Hers was hepatitis a, which none of us had even heard of before and we have no idea how she contracted it. It's cleared up now. She barely drinks though, so I don't know how relevant that would be to your MIL, but it was discovered and diagnosed through the same route as she is going down.

IamAnIAMSgirl Fri 13-May-16 07:58:13

Thank you for your kind responses. She has had a bile duct test and that came back clear so it can't be the gall bladder.

All the tests started because she suffers with a regular loose tummy and has done for some time now. This seemed to happen in line with her changing medication for something else but they found a polyp in her uterus and now the liver function test has come back abnormal. I witnessed her have a seizure in January. She also suffers with atrial fibrillation.

I feel like we all need to brace ourselves with bad news. sad

PurpleWithRed Fri 13-May-16 08:05:53

I'm not a doctor, but experience says liver function = very often alcohol related. What triggered her seizure?

IamAnIAMSgirl Fri 13-May-16 08:55:01

They think it was either a tIA or the start of epilepsy but they don't really know to be honest.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Fri 13-May-16 08:59:17

It could be a number of things from diabetes to prescribed drugs or heavy reliance on paracetamol. Alcohol is just one reason. I hope it is something innocuous.

IamAnIAMSgirl Fri 13-May-16 09:24:02

Thanks all, I will let you know when I know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now