Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hayfever

(10 Posts)
Ifyoubuildit Mon 09-May-16 11:03:00

Is it worth seeing my GP? The over the counter stuff isn't doing much and I feel so rotten in myself. Is there anything a GP can do or will they just tell me to take the normal remedies.

This is only my second year of having hayfever. It's all in my ears and the back of my head so the sprays etc aren't helping.

MarvellousCake Mon 09-May-16 11:14:56

Have you tried a few different types of antihistamine (ie with different active ingredients)? It can vary from person to person as to which works best.

Ifyoubuildit Mon 09-May-16 12:48:41

I have, they work a bit but it still really gets on top of me.

Notapinkgirl Mon 09-May-16 12:55:08

Put some Vaseline on the end of your nose it catches the pollen. And the dr may be able to suggest something. Local honey is ment to help but I have not tried it. Good luck

amidawish Mon 09-May-16 13:05:57

vitamin C
probiotic
no alcohol

will all help boost your immune system and really helps

amidawish Mon 09-May-16 13:06:44

antihistamine eyedrops help for itchy eyes, olopatadine - get the doctor to prescribe it

NewYearSameMe Mon 09-May-16 13:11:21

I've started a new anti-histamine this year called Drynol, the active ingredient is bilastine. It's prescription only here (Ireland), and expensive but it's working so much more effectively than loratadine. I'm lucky that my GP gets exactly the same hay-fever as I do (tree pollen) and is affected just as badly as I am so she's sympathetic and keeps up to date with new treatments.

amidawish Mon 09-May-16 13:21:40

btw are you sure it is hayfever?
"in the ears and back of your head"? are quite unusual symptoms. you could have an infection...

DoItTooJulia Mon 09-May-16 13:26:54

Yep, see your GP.

If it is hayfever (symptoms sound a bit unusual to me-I've suffered for over 20 years and my main symptom is sneezing and snot. Buckets and buckets of snot. And then stuffiness. Then sneezing. Followed by more buckets of snot. Repeat. If I don't get it under control I get headaches too.) they can prescribe stronger antihistamines and nasal sprays.

Horrid, isn't it?

Lavinia2013 Mon 09-May-16 14:12:19

Hi, I feel your pain! Apparently birch pollen is currently at its highest in years hence why I have been a snivelling, itchy mess!
Definitely go to your GP, the over the counter meds didn't work for me, so I have been given -

Fexofenadine tablets - 1 per day
Sodium cromoglicate eye drops - 2 drops 3 times a day
Avamys nasal spray - 2 sprays twice a day

Seems to be working, although I know about it when they wear off!
Costs a small fortune in prescription costs, so I paid £104 to have unlimited meds for a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now