Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diagnose my shin pain please!

(13 Posts)
HowardsEnd Sun 08-May-16 20:13:49

(and help me decide whether to give it time, or take it more quickly to the dr)

So:
Friday all is fine. Scooted 9 year old's new scooter home, which I find v hard work, but didn't knowingly hurt myself at all.
Saturday morning, realise that the upper top of my foot, my ankle, and much more acutely, the very bottom of the middle outside of my shin hurt horribly.
Absolutely fine when I don't move it, pretty much no pain to point my toes, but really painful to flex. Hurts to pick my foot up again when I'm walking.
What have I done to myself? And what can I do to make it better as quickly as possible?

HowardsEnd Sun 08-May-16 21:29:36

anybody? Dr google isn't giving me any ideas (apart from strange cancers, and I'm pretty sure it's not that!)

derektheladyhamster Sun 08-May-16 21:32:42

Shin splints? My son had this, I'm fairly sure rest was advised ( or at least no sport until it was better) - but I can't really remember!

HowardsEnd Sun 08-May-16 22:01:29

It's more to the side, and different from shin splints. I'm trying to work out if I've properly damaged anything (tendon, ligament, muscle) and if it's going to get better on its own. I'm not good at resting things...

lamusic Sun 08-May-16 22:02:32

It's possible to get shin splints in the side of your leg! speaks from bitter experience

HowardsEnd Sun 08-May-16 22:23:41

would they just come on with a bang? and hurt so acutely, for e.g., that it was totally impossible for me to run for a bus? I've had mild ones before and this feels completely different...

HowardsEnd Mon 09-May-16 13:00:25

still sore - totally fine first thing, but horrible to walk on. Ugh.

digerd Mon 09-May-16 21:17:26

I reckon it is muscle stiffness which should ease in a couple of days. That particular muscle sounds like it has been strained and usually the pain appears 24-48 hours after the activity concerned.
A Physio would be best to quickly diagnose the exact problem but I am sure it is nothing serious. It could, however, take longer to recover depending on the extent of the injury .

With a scooter, one foot is doing more work than the other - the scooting foot I imagine.

Good luck

Tbonesteak Tue 10-May-16 15:44:50

Bet it's a vitamin D deficiency!

HowardsEnd Tue 10-May-16 20:35:56

It's still just horrible. Did practically nothing on Sat and today (Sun and Mon busier - and I had to keep stopping when I was walking).
Vit D: is that a joke??!
I've been googling to see if I can have damaged a tendon or a ligament in that bit of my leg, and as far as I can see there aren't any obvious ones, which makes me feel a bit happier.

Tbonesteak Tue 10-May-16 22:50:25

Nope wasn't a joke! I used to get awful shin pain and it was a vitamin D deficiency - was similar to yours, only hurt to walk on etc .......

HowardsEnd Sat 14-May-16 10:33:31

I have some vit D in the cupboard I will go and take some now!

cherrytree63 Wed 18-May-16 07:55:04

I had horrific shin pain when my vit d was really low, also a tender sternum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now