Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Treating anaemia post-birth

(7 Posts)
LBOCS2 Sun 08-May-16 15:24:31

Three weeks ago I had DD2, following which I had a large bleed (lost 1500ml) and had to go under GA for a removal of retained membrane and stay in hospital for a few days.

I managed to get away without a transfusion (just!) but my HB level was 72 when they released me and it was only because I was asymptomatic that they let me go with iron tablets. It was all fine for the first week, and I was taking my three iron tablets a day but since coming off the antibiotics I was on, the iron tablets are really really upsetting my stomach - terrible trapped wind, stomach pain and diarrhoea. I stopped taking them and have felt fine since (stomach wise!)

I spoke to the pharmacist about finding something gentler for my stomach but they were extremely unhelpful and it's quite a wait to see my GP. I wouldn't mind, but I've just started to get a bit dizzy on standing and I don't want to risk feeling worse.

Is a liquid supplement the equivalent of taking a tablet? And are any better than the others?

phoolani Sun 08-May-16 15:29:08

I use spatone and I don't have any problems. I give it to dd (10), too, and she's also fine with it www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/spatone-original-natural-iron-supplement-60080131?skuid=080131&istCompanyId=8b7eb14d-bd9c-4f8a-aec2-4349bbabb5a0&istItemId=irrirlwmt&istBid=tztx&&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CIf0__jXyswCFYTGGwod_S0Jjg

Hawkmoth Sun 08-May-16 15:32:25

I use ferrous fumarate capsules and they don't upset my stomach. You can get them on prescription or buy them at the chemist.

LBOCS2 Sun 08-May-16 15:33:58

Thanks phoo. The only thing is, is spatone strong enough to boost levels? I know it's good for maintenance but I was on 200mg of ferrous sulphate 3x a day - which is presumably quite a lot! I get the impression I would have to drink a lot of spatone to get the same effect! grin

Dachshund Sun 08-May-16 15:35:02

When I was on a mission to up my iron before DD was born I was taking 2 X Spatone a day and also Feroglobin, which is another liquid iron supplement

Kennington Sun 08-May-16 15:36:41

I found by lowering the dose of iron but by whacking up the amount of vitamin c (to help absorb) and vit b and increasing red meat in diet helped massively. Hb increased quickly after about 4 weeks.
Be aware I felt horrible with anaemia after birth and thought it was post natal depression for a couple of weeks until my iron increased and I felt human again.

doleritedinosaur Sun 08-May-16 15:41:11

I was supposed to be on 3 a day but went down to one as I had the same issues but I took it with orange juice as vitamin C helps with intake of Iron.

Also dairy/calcium makes iron harder to be absorbed so didn't have a cup of tea for several hours after.

I try to take it in food instead spinach/ dark leafy veg & raisins & apricots are high in them too.
So are a lot of red meats. My doctor at the 6 week check was happy with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now