Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Floaty bits in eyes - how long til I can ignore them?!

(8 Posts)
honeydrop Tue 03-May-16 11:19:59

Hi ladies
anyone here suffer with floaty buggers in their eyes?
Just wondered how long it takes for you to ignore them? Had mine about 3 months - no improvements yet! Optician has said he can't even see them in my eyes! (I suggested he needed his eyes testing!) and laughed me out of the room
hmm

mogloveseggs Tue 03-May-16 11:22:48

I see floaty bits sometimes and I think that it is like a delayed seeing of my eyelashes when I blink when my eyes take a while to focus if that makes any sense whatsoever?

lavenderdoilly Tue 03-May-16 11:24:10

If you have any flashing lights eg at periphery of vision, go to optician ASAP. Floaters can be unremarkable. However, keep up your optician visits. If you get loads of floaters make an optician appointment again.

Rattitude Tue 03-May-16 12:29:25

My mum had floaters in her eyes. She saw her ophthalmologist 3 days after the first symptoms appeared and she was diagnosed with a central retinal vein occlusion. 3 days was already too late to do anything for her vision to recover but she then had a few more medical tests and is now on medication.
I remember going with her to her appointment and the differences between the computer pictures of her right and left eyes were striking.

My independent optometrist here is good and has got excellent equipment, so if you are not sure about the service you have received so far, it might be worth seeing an independent optometrist. They will refer you to an ophthalmologist if they suspect something untoward.

honeydrop Tue 03-May-16 13:22:55

I have been to an independent optician, I do trust his judgement which is why I was shocked to hear him say "I can't see any floaters"
??!
I was just wondering really if people who had them could remember how long it took to not notice them anymore/less - I'm not worried about them as such, just find them very distracting and not very nice!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 03-May-16 13:33:04

almost all floaters are completely harmless, if annoying. The optometrist may not have been able to see them cos sometimes they settle, like snow in a snow globe, so they would not appear in his view, you see them as they cast a shadow on your retina, so it can be hard for them to be seen from the outside in iyswim?

What you need to worry about are NEW floaters, DIFFERENT floaters from your usual, flashings arcs of light, points of light, shadows or cobwebs, in particular if you are shortsighted, a medium degree of myopia makes you way more likely to suffer from a retinal detachment or similar.

I would always present to an optician/optometrist rather than the GP with any of these symptoms, they have the equipment to review the interior of the eye and to refer as necessary.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Tue 03-May-16 13:35:20

I've always had some, and more so after I had a retinal tear; they are always there, and I can particularly notice them again bright skies, screens, music, etc., in the fog or steam, and so on, but I am used to them and can see past them generally - probably takes a couple of months when I get a large new one. Sometimes they float in front of my vision, a semi-transparent one, and things are a little blurry, but I have got used to them.

honeydrop Wed 04-May-16 08:11:02

I can't wait til I get used to mine!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now