Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Unbearable toothache

(14 Posts)
lucymart777 Mon 02-May-16 00:06:27

Hello guys,
Not really sure anyone will read this or be able to help me but for the past week I've had the most unbearable toothache, the whole left side of my face can ache, including my neck.. My dentist can't fit me in until next month but even so I am petrified of going so have been putting it off 🙈
Has anyone got any tips on conquering my fears? Even the thought of going to the dentist makes me feel sick but I'm going to have to go at some point as this pain is unbearable. Literally living off painkillers and it's making me miss work as most nights I hardly sleep .. Hope someone can give me some advice.
Thanks x

messystressy Mon 02-May-16 00:13:03

Oh my god, did you tell the dentist it is an emergency?! Next month?! That's insane! If I say it's an emergency they will try and make an appointment that day, between routine patients. This happened to me - was taking paracetamol and ibuprofen and not being able to sleep. Ended up on antibiotics and root canal. It wasn't the most pleasant of things but was so grateful for relief from the pain, I didn't care! Good luck - and ring back your dentist ( or find a more accommodating one!).

lucymart777 Mon 02-May-16 00:20:00

I did explain how much pain I was in but they just told me too "dose up on painkillers" 😒
I can't afford a private dentist & all other dentists aren't accepting new NHS patients in my area.. Bloody pain in the arse! Can't do anything tomorrow as its bank holiday so will have to get looking for a new dentist on Tuesday. Hopefully somewhere will see me sooner!

TheTartOfAsgard Mon 02-May-16 00:26:05

You can get antibiotics prescribed by emergency gp if an abscess is suspected, they did this for me when I had a weeks wait for dental appointment.
Have you tried clove oil? It helps numb the pain but be careful not to get any on your tongue as it burns like hell.

ohnoppp Mon 02-May-16 00:27:57

You need an emergency appointment. I had horrible toothache it was an abscess no way I could have waited a month

31weeksgone Mon 02-May-16 00:30:59

Get some of this, can buy it in boots uk or Amazon for few days delivery. Doesn't obviously make everything better but honestly it's got numbing agent in so will help a little bit. Much better than clove oil or the like. I've used it and it's honestly made my whole face numb!

Imnotaslimjim Mon 02-May-16 00:32:41

Ring 111 and ask for the nearest emergency dentist

If you're so scared that you might put it off again even though you're in pain, see your GP for help. They can offer a mild sedative to help you through it

Can you see what is causing the pain? If there is a break in a tooth, try rubbing it with neat vodka or just drink the vodka or hold a whole clove against the tooth

lucymart777 Mon 02-May-16 00:40:15

Usually painkillers and clove oil work but tonight nothing is helping!
Have a feeling I might have an abscess, I know I need root canal but I've been putting it off.. But not any longer, booking a dentist appointment ASAP!

Quietlygoingmad67 Mon 02-May-16 00:46:42

Oh no! I am a fellow dentist phobic as well - so fully understand! My dentist is fab and I do lots of deep breathing and try to zone out as much as possible - which can freak my dentist out as she thinks I've fainted in so still and quiet! I sometimes take music and headphones with me and always wear a scarf sprayed with my perfume I can sniff whilst waiting as I can't stand the smell - good luck oh and try and sleep sitting up whilst the pain is bad

MissBeaHaving Mon 02-May-16 00:54:24

A lot of areas in the UK have an emergency dental service,an abscess qualifies for emergency treatment, I would ring as soon as you can as I know from experience they just get worse sad

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1776.aspx?categoryid=74

MissBeaHaving Mon 02-May-16 00:55:51

If you are NHS patient it's free if not its £18.80 for the treatment.
Hope you get some relief soon op.

amarmai Tue 03-May-16 00:10:32

when i had this i took a mouthfull of vodka and sloshed it around in my mouth and kept it there . May have got drunk for the 1 and only time in my life , but it was worth it.

CharleyDavidson Tue 03-May-16 21:32:59

A couple of qs...
Can you locate the pain to one tooth?
Does anything trigger the pain or does it come and go or permanently throb?
Is it a throbbing or a stabbing pain?
Do the painkillers do anything to numb the pain?

Musicaltheatremum Tue 03-May-16 22:11:14

This is appalling. I had dental pain, my lower jaw went numb up to my lip. Dentist saw me the same day. Dental pain is an emergency. Please do not go to a GP we are not qualified to give dental advice. I had a chat with my dentist about this and he said antibiotics often don't work as the blood supply to the area is so poor and to delay treatment causes more problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now