Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

is this okay? really yucky photo of blister warning!!!

(17 Posts)
twirlypoo Sat 30-Apr-16 19:59:46

I got a blister a few days ago at work and whilst it hurt I did nothing about it apart from curse my new shoes!

Noticed last night when I got up that I was limping and that it hurt to put my foot to the ground. Again, didn't think more of it.

Woke this morning and the area surrounding it was slightly swollen and red. Went to pharmacy who said keep an eye on it.

Have been sat on my arse most of today - went to get up to do bedtime and it hurts like buggery to walk on it. Swelling (puffiness?) is up into my ankle. No warmth I don't think to the area. It sort of is throbbing.

I've included photos.... You lucky things.... Can someone just tell me this is okay and I can ignore it and drink wine and it will just fix itself? I am not sure if you can see the swollen discoloured part - photo 2 shows it best.

I am being a wimp about a blister for gods sake!

Stickytoffeepudding123 Sat 30-Apr-16 20:05:03

Looks OK to me. Leave it to air dry unless you need to put shoes on in which case padded plaster would help.

Funko Sat 30-Apr-16 20:06:01

I spent the evening of my 16th birthday (I'm now 35 ... Not that that's relevant!) in A&e.
Mine started similar. Nasty burst blister. Sore round it and red. The redness around it started to spread, swelling increasing and yes hurt like buggery. Progressed throughout the day round the ankle and inching it's way up my leg. I was in agony by the time the redness and swelling was at my mid shin and got took to A&e. It was a particularly nasty infection that required a very high dose of antibiotics.

I recall being told that it was a good job I hadn't left it much longer to spread as could have been very serious indeed it if had reached my knee (glands in back of knee?)

Go get it checked x

twirlypoo Sat 30-Apr-16 20:09:28

Stories like that Funko are what are worrying me! Im not bothered about the blister part - it's the swelling and throbbing around my ankle that is my concern. I might nip back to the pharmacy and grab some wine on the way so it's not a wasted journey?! I feel like I'm over reacting but I've never had a reaction like this before (after years of wearing stupid shoes and shredding my feet!)

Funko Sat 30-Apr-16 20:12:22

Yeah sorry not trying to scare you but it was exactly what happened to me. I almost felt like I was over reacting to start with until I was in so much pain... All from a stupid blister. Definitely keep an eye on it but if it's rapidly spreading id take a trip to walk in centre maybe?

Funko Sat 30-Apr-16 20:22:57

Like a flashback just suddenly renembered why I went to A&E.... I'd gone to the school nurse mid morning when it was at my ankle and hurting and she said she didn't like the look of it and would call my parents to try and get me a docs appointment for that day. My doctors were rubbish and couldn't book me in for 3 days... So it was that evening when I was in agony they insisted I went to hospital

IwillrunIwillfly Sat 30-Apr-16 20:27:44

If you think the redness is spreading, draw round where it is now. If it's gone further than the line tomorrow it's worth getting it checked incase it's cellulitis. I'd leave it uncovered if you're just resting it anyway so you can keep an eye on it, but keep it clean and if you have any antiseptic like salon maybe apply a wee bit after cleaning. Hope it's better soon!

Funko Sun 01-May-16 20:30:39

Are you doing ok op or has your leg fallen off? grin wink

museumum Sun 01-May-16 20:32:14

That swelling looks dodgy.

twirlypoo Sun 01-May-16 20:45:08

Hello!

Sorry, I drank wine <medicinal> and decided to ignore my foot a bit. It's still attached!

I woke up this morning and the redness is def worse (photo attached) but when I went to the walk in they said it was fine and to just keep it covered.

It hurts!!!! If it is worse again tomorrow I will go back and try and see someone else.

twirlypoo Sun 01-May-16 20:46:10

Oops, I posted too soon!

Thank you for checking j was still alive! Ds has LOVED having a sofa day with his ipad.... He's going to be gutted when I'm back on my feet!

Funko Mon 02-May-16 00:32:31

Don't leave it too long op! I was on antibiotics for weeks 😁 Glad your leg hasn't fallen off though 😄

Northernlurker Mon 02-May-16 00:35:40

That looks like cellulitis to me. Is it hot to touch?
You need to see somebody for antibiotics urgently.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 02-May-16 00:36:12

When you go back show them the photos so they can see how far its spreading. You're at risk of developing cellulitis. Keep it raised, preferably above your heart.

museumum Mon 02-May-16 19:32:47

How are you twirlypoo??

twirlypoo Mon 02-May-16 22:36:43

Hello! I am okay thank you, there is still some swelling and redness but has def diminished and my foot has not fallen off (thank goodness!) I will continue keeping an eye on it, but I think my body must have fought off the infection itself thank goodness.

Tomorrow I will be wearing shoes for the first time in days so it will be a big day! grin

Thank you for asking after me, that's really kind of you flowers

Imnotaslimjim Tue 03-May-16 10:26:07

Great news that you're fighting it off yourself, I hope it to continues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now