Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to increase folate levels?

(8 Posts)
Palomb Thu 28-Apr-16 11:57:01

I've recently been to the dr as I've been feeling really run down. I had a blood test which found I was aneamic so the doctor asked me to supplement my iron and have a re test in 6 weeks. When I went back the levels were worse - 9.9 HB and 9 folate. Needless to say I feel shit.

I've had a test for coeliac done and am awaiting the results but what can undo in the mean time? I'm taking 2 spatone a day as I can't tolerate the stuff the doctors prescribe. I'm fat but can't exercise as I feel so awful. I already eat a reasonable diet.

Any reccomendations?

ButtonsAndBows Thu 28-Apr-16 12:05:41

I am not sure exactly what folate is but I take 2 spatone a day in orange juice and also a 5000mg Jarrows b12 tablet which has been amazing.

AveEldon Thu 28-Apr-16 12:06:39

Take folic acid
The GP should be able to prescribe high dose tablets for you

Palomb Thu 28-Apr-16 13:57:58

I'm not sure what folate is either TBH! I do have a lot of folic acid though a ash is on mentor recite so I might nab some of his.

I carbs stomachs the high strength iron - it makes me nauseous sad

Palomb Thu 28-Apr-16 14:22:38

dh is on Methotrexate

confused

NanaNina Fri 29-Apr-16 23:51:54

You can only get folic acid on prescription and your GP would have prescribed 5 mg tablets if necessary. They do sell it over the counter but it's in tiny doses and only for women trying to get pregnant.

Palomb Sat 30-Apr-16 08:51:53

Arebtherebrosjs to be associated with taking it at a higher dose then

Palomb Sat 30-Apr-16 08:53:34

Sorry about my atrocious typing my iPhone screen is shattered and I can't see half
The text.

Genius Bar tomorrow thank goodness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now