Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding between periods-feel sick with worry

(9 Posts)
PoolBaby21 Tue 26-Apr-16 13:12:05

Over the past few months I have noticed a bit of bleeding between periods. Nothing major/dramatic, just a streak of blood when I've wiped, a bit of spotting etc. Only lasts about a day. I've also notice my periods have become a lot lighter and only last 2-3 days. My last period was 3 week ago and today I have just been to the toilet and when I wiped there was quite a lot of blood on the tissue and a couple of small clots.

I have gone I to panic mode. I am 26 and never had a smear (please don't flame me for this) but for no particular reason other then I have never got round to it. I have just moved areas so haven't transferred my doctors yet but will go over and do this today.

What is the best course of action? I am not bleeding heavily (there wasn't anything on my knickers, just when I wiped). If I joined a doctors today would they book me straight in for a smear or would I have to wait? I feel so stupid and feel like there's something majorly wrong with me. I have one ds but always wanted more but not I seem to be having irregular periods in terrified I won't be able have more.

Sorry if tmi, but I've no one else to ask!

PoolBaby21 Tue 26-Apr-16 13:12:21

Oh and I'm not in any pain, and I'm not on any contraception

HelenF35 Tue 26-Apr-16 13:24:48

Get your smear done ASAP. I have similar symptoms to yourself but I bleed heavier than you. I have had pre cancerous cells removed before. I have had a smear, std tests and a diagnostic laparoscopy since this started and they can't find a cause. I thought I would have problems conceiving because of it but I got pregnant in 3 months aged 35. I have an appointment today to discuss again.

PoolBaby21 Tue 26-Apr-16 13:31:05

Thanks for the reply Helen, going to nip in the doctors on my way to fetch my son from nursery. I will speak to the receptionist and see what she says.
Feel really worried now and really stupid that I haven't been for a smear yet sad

HelenF35 Tue 26-Apr-16 13:36:12

Don't worry, you are not the only one that has missed a smear. Just get it done as soon as you can. My smear was normal and I'm bleeding between periods for no obvious reason. I though it was the implant causing it but after I had it out I was still bleeding between periods.

HelenF35 Tue 26-Apr-16 13:36:15

Don't worry, you are not the only one that has missed a smear. Just get it done as soon as you can. My smear was normal and I'm bleeding between periods for no obvious reason. I though it was the implant causing it but after I had it out I was still bleeding between periods.

HelenF35 Tue 26-Apr-16 16:37:41

I spoke to my wonderful new gp who examined me and is fairly sure this is the cause. http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/gynaecology/Cervical-ectropion.pdf]
She's referred me to gynaecology and is incredulous that no one has mentioned that this is a possibility.

PoolBaby21 Tue 26-Apr-16 16:55:14

Thanks again for your replies Helen. Didn't have chance to go get registered, was planning on going before I picked ds up from nursery but they rang early afternoon as he had been sick so I was straight to nursery and back.

Glad your appointment went ok and you're finally getting somewhere, I will have a look at the link you've posted. I'm going across the doctors first thing so I'll let you know how I get on

flowers

SummerHouse Tue 26-Apr-16 17:01:32

I think they will examine you and refer you. I bet it is nothing. I had bleeding after sex and it was nothing sinister. I did have a camera inserted and saw my own cervix on a screen. It was not at all painful and the staff were brilliant. flowers good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now