Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What's wrong with my hair? Could it be health related (or is dh cutting it in my sleep?!)

(11 Posts)
Elephantsarecute Mon 25-Apr-16 16:33:26

For about a month or so, I've noticed I've got these random tufts (for lack of a better word) of hair. They started by my fringe and parting, and now there all along the neckline. My hair is shoulder length, and there's just these short tufts all over! Obviously I was joking about dh cutting them def not him as the ends aren't straight like they've been cut with scissors so what is causing them?

Photo attached -please ignore my hair colour! (Not had it done since before I was pregnant) and sorry for the poor quality photo.

TheGingerBreadWoman Mon 25-Apr-16 16:36:36

How long ago did you give birth? If it was fairly recently then that's all part and parcel of it I'm afraid

When we are pregnant our bodies retains the hair the would normally fall out (usually) and that's why we end up with thick glossy manes.... Once we have given birth and the hormone levels start to fall back your hair starts to sued again and sometimes you are left with the tufty bits

Kinda sucks really!!

Elephantsarecute Mon 25-Apr-16 16:40:54

I had her 8 and a half months ago. I did have lots of hair falling out but that was big long pieces and stopped at about 4 months.

Frazzled2207 Mon 25-Apr-16 16:42:11

After i had both my babies I shed loads of hair, about 3-6 months pp in both cases. Towards the end of that period though new hair started growing, especially around my fringe which was where it previously fell out.
It will become less tufty as it grows!

Frazzled2207 Mon 25-Apr-16 16:43:20

I was at peak tuftiness at 8-9 months! Now at nearly 12 months it's better.

HairyLittlePoet Mon 25-Apr-16 16:45:29

Your tufts look a couple of inches long, so that's about 4 months of growth, which that would be regrowth that began around Christmas.

Did your hair loss finish around December?

Elephantsarecute Mon 25-Apr-16 16:45:42

Ohh that's great! Well...not great that you went through it too, but really reassuring that it'll hopefully sort itself out in the next few months. As it's spreading over more of my hair, I worried all my hair would end up like it! Thank you smile

RudeElf Mon 25-Apr-16 16:46:09

My friend is having this too! Her baby is 8 months old and she is getting the 'tufty' (baby hair as she calls it) around her hairline at her forehead.

Elephantsarecute Mon 25-Apr-16 16:47:27

Yeah, hair loss did finish around December time. That's such a relief it'll sort itself out. Thank you! Until then I'll just have to wear my hair down a lot grin

whatamess0815 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:11:56

had it too. think my hair started only properly growing back after 6-7 months so by 8-9 months I had these funny bits all over....

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 25-Apr-16 21:17:47

Oh god I'd forgotten about this! My hair was horrendous for months after I had DS. Now pregnant again and you've just reminded me what's to come! <sob>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now