Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Glandular fever and HIV blood test

(7 Posts)
Glandular45 Mon 25-Apr-16 16:10:10

Hi all,
I've been very unwell recently so my doctor sent me for blood tests last week. The dr said the blood test would be looking for glandular fever and for HIV.

I called the doctors surgery and was told that two of the blood tests had come back clear, but that the doctor has questioned the results of the HIV test and it's been sent back to the lab and I won't get these results until Thursday.

This has obviously got me really panicked, as I don't think there's any risk I could have HIV but with th test being sent back its sent my mind into over ride.

Has anyone else had the same experience or could give me reassurance as to why the test was sent back to the lab?

Mandatorymongoose Mon 25-Apr-16 23:19:45

I had glandular fever (quite a long time ago now) and it was really awkward to get diagnosed. Think it took 3 rounds of blood tests before it eventually showed up.

I had it again the following year and they didn't even bother after the first test and just suggested I had 'a glandular fever like illness'.

So, even if those tests have come back clear it might be worth getting rechecked.

Conversely HIV testing rarely gives a false negative (unless it's too close to when you contracted it) but does give a reasonable amount of false positives on the initial test.

They have more accurate tests but these take longer and probably cost more so any positive reading would be retested. If that is the reason it's been sent back (and it might not be) then there's a fair chance you're fine. Especially if you've got no reason to think you've been exposed to HIV.

It's horrible waiting for results though!

Finallyonboard Mon 25-Apr-16 23:29:33

Perhaps it's just a formality?

Floralnomad Mon 25-Apr-16 23:35:41

If you don't want to wait you could find one of the clinics that does the test for HIV and gives same day results .

Glandular45 Tue 26-Apr-16 08:52:47

Thanks for your replies.

I am staring to feel better today which is good, it's just the constant worry of the HIV blood test. I'm doing exactly what you get told not to and google'ing my symptoms!

Mandatorymongoose, thank you for the advice and the further clarification about the blood test, I'm really hoping that the initial test was a false positive and I will hear something today about the situation.

I've got all sorts going through my head of trying to understated where I may have picked it up from and how I would tell my partner, I just hope I won't have to go through that situation.

TealLove Tue 26-Apr-16 08:54:39

Oh I can understand totally you being anxious

Finallyonboard Tue 26-Apr-16 19:57:08

It's highly unlikely to be anything of concern, as you said, you'd consider yourself to be low risk which is a good sign! Waiting is probably going to be the worst part.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now