Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

parainfluenza in adults

(5 Posts)
giraffesCantReachTheirToes Sun 24-Apr-16 15:54:02

Anyone been diagnosed with this? How long did it take you to feel human again?

Lungs don't seem to want to improve very quickly.

Zaurak Sun 24-Apr-16 18:31:42

7-10 days normally. How is it presenting? The two main nasty effects are croup and bronchiolitis. They're generally mild but can sometimes develop in pneumonia. And of course you can get secondary bacterial infections piggybacking on the initial viral infection.

Rest, keep warm, fluids. Not much more you can do... If you're having difficulty breathing, or if you get a bubbly crackly feeling when breathing, go back to the docs. Ditto if the cough persists past three weeks.

Rest up. flowers

Elibean Sun 24-Apr-16 20:42:39

If its the one I had in January, the worst was over in about 10 days - but I felt breathless for weeks. I had another, similar bug three weeks ago and am still coughing a lot sad

Elibean Sun 24-Apr-16 20:43:13

And I hope you get well soon! Don't rush back to work x

giraffesCantReachTheirToes Fri 29-Apr-16 05:36:54

Posted this and then got readmitted to hosp the next morning via blue light ambulance - rather scary. Had been in the week before which is when I got diagnosed.

Lungs are struggling to get rid of it. Bluuugh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now