Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Terbinafine - taste loses anyone?

(6 Posts)
middlings Sat 23-Apr-16 19:10:17

The GP put me on Terbinafine for a fungal nail infection. Said it would take three months to clear rather than the 12 if you use the over the counter topical treatments.

Six weeks in and I have almost total loss of taste. I have a permanent salty taste in my mouth and can't taste anything sweet. Anything salty tastes under flavoured. Having read the leaflet properly, it is going to take 'several weeks' for my taste to return. I'm coming off the medication totally immediately as it's really unpleasant.

Anyone have any experience and how long did it take your taste to come back? The leaflet says this happens to around 1 in 100 people so I figure someone hear must have had it.

middlings Sat 23-Apr-16 19:11:06

Hear??? Here obviously!

RememberToSmile1980 Sat 23-Apr-16 19:14:19

I got a horrible nail fungul infection when pregnant with my son! Anyhow I was prescribed terbinafine. It worked within 3 months for me and the infection had spread over 3 toenails! I can't remember experiencing loss of taste though! Sorry I can't be of much help - however it will work!

middlings Sat 23-Apr-16 19:26:56

Thanks - having read a bit up on it now, I'm going to give up on it as there is a risk of permanent damage to my ability to taste and this is truly miserable.

A real shame as I can see it's starting to work but I can't live like this for another three months (which is what it would be by the time I'd finished and the taste came back.

RememberToSmile1980 Sat 23-Apr-16 20:21:13

Best of luck and ask for an alternative.

middlings Sat 23-Apr-16 20:22:47

Thanks. GP appt booked for Wednesday so hopefully he can give me some better advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now