Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aching legs all the time!!

(9 Posts)
sophree Fri 22-Apr-16 20:34:27

My legs ache so much all the time.
It makes going out and about with the kids such a chore sometimes, and it always leaves me feeling exhausted.
Anyone else suffer like this ?

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Sat 23-Apr-16 09:52:06

Yes, I have this, they have been particularly bad lately, waking up with aching legs and feet and feeling like my skin is sunburned, I would love to stay and wallow in bed but have to get up!.

Have you had your vitamin D level checked? mine was very low and made the aching worse

sophree Sat 23-Apr-16 21:29:49

I haven't been to the doctor. I am overweight and fell like they will just tell me to lose weight.... And I already know I need to do that.
But think I will try get an appointment Monday!

LavenderRains Sat 23-Apr-16 21:34:55

Me too OP, my legs actually hurt some days. I am also overweight but it's as tho my bones actually hurt.
I also wonder if it's the menopause

MrsPinotGrigio Sat 23-Apr-16 22:17:43

If you're visiting your GP ask for a full blood count - I suffered for a while with aching legs & was finally diagnosed with severe anaemia. Was sorted out quite quickly, although my anaemia was caused by a more serious health problem. My sister also has Vit D deficiency & has really bad aches in her arms which is apparently very common. Hope you get it sorted soon, aches & pains are horrible especially if nothing helps to relieve them.

stayathomegardener Sat 23-Apr-16 22:29:15

DD 17 has this. Watching with interest.

Bettertobehealthy Sun 24-Apr-16 17:57:26

Hi sophree
that mention of Vitamin D up above by hyacinth could be spot on . Lack of vitamin D can indeed bring on unexplained generalised bone aching. This time of year is the absolute worst for vit d deficiency , because over the winter , the sun is too weak to make it it your skin . ( Mid - Oct to mid- April ). if you are not taking supplements then your blood level will drop. You can get some vitamin D from food , but only low levels, and if you avoid things like oily fish you may well have a problem. Some meat contains metabolites of vitamin D , but it does depend on how and where that animal has been kept.

Most people in this country UK , have a level around 30 - 60 , whereas , over millions of years humans have had levels over 100. We are now nearly all deficient to some level or another. In fact , in Germany , a few years ago , an analysis was done on the bones of people accidently killed in car accidents etc. So it was a random sample. Astonishingly 25% of those people showed some evidence of osteomalacial changes in their bones. Osteomalacia can bring on bone pain, whereby the protein matrix of the bone de-mineralises ( because of lack of vit d ) . The matrix, in consequence, expands and presses on the outer lining of the bone, thus producing pain.

IF this is your problem , I stress IF , then it is easy to fix , with vitamin D supplements. It would be advisable to make sure your other nutrients such as calcium magnesium, protein etc are up to par. Perhaps make sure you get enough dark greens etc. ( which are rich in magnesium some calcium etc. ) Failing that, possibly a multivit would help , but make sure the multi-vit contains minerals. Dairy is a rich source of calcium.

Vit D supplementation is cheap, 1 years supply can cost as little as £12 on Amazon.

I always try to mention the desirability of a blood level test , which is available at your doctor. Sometimes ( or often ) , they will not do the test , You can get one done privately at the NHS lab in Sandwell . W Mids. I believe they charge £ 28. It is a simple blood spot on blotting paper , the result is emailed to you within a week. Here www.vitamindtest.org.uk/

Not only is vitamin D required for healthy bones , it is taken up by every cell in your body , and used to transcribe your genes. It is like a chemical messenger , turning ON or OFF genes when appropriate. A lack of vitamin D hampers those processes and can lead to all sorts of other health problems , like auto immune diseases, or an inefficient immune system , unable to fight of virus and bacterial illnesses.

Have a look at this thread , where we discuss this at length, www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2421492-Vitimin-D-can-it-have-this-effect
It is a long read , but you will find many other people there with similar bone problems. It could be very helpful to you , or anyone suffering with those type of problems. E.G lower back pain or groin pain that comes on after standing for a long time.

If you can , keep your Vit D level above 100 , for a long period , it will help keep your health on an even keel....! , and reduce bone pain.

here is another thread , about how to do a quick self check , press on the shin bone and sternum, do they feel bruised. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2377129-Quick-Self-Check-for-Vitamin-D-deficiency

Hope all this information is helpful. Good luck.

BTBH

Frostycake Wed 27-Apr-16 16:57:13

Thanks Bettertobehealthy

I have terrible leg pain at the moment and was wondering what to do about it as it's stopping me sleeping.

I may put my bikini on and lay in the garden tomorrow! and frighten the neighbours!

sunnydayinmay Wed 27-Apr-16 16:58:29

Just read your title, as in rush - vitamin D!!! I had this for 35 years until I realised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now